Shell Helix Ultra AB 5W-30

TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS-
Oil drain screw to oil pan 48 ft/lb
Oil filter to timing case cover 10 ft/lb

:)

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Thanks for that link, not a complete service manual, but every bit helps.
Yea, but if you go to the link, you can buy access time to their service information. They have different plans, ranging from about $8 for 'one day access' to $450.00 for 'annual access'.

I posted somewhere else that if a group of smart owners or club would pool their $$, they could set up an email address for all their members to have access and could use it all the time.

If 10 people participated, it brings the cost down to $45/per person for a year. 25 people would be only $18/per person. Not ideal, but still affordable.

To me, 'ideal' would be to have a Shop Manual IN MY HANDS while working on my smart.......but that's just me.

At least there's an alternative now.........:)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks to Big Panda for pointing this out: smart USA Owners Portal - Do It Yourself :)

Covers air filter, battery, oil & filter, spark plugs and wiper blades so far.
Wow! Definitely a great step forward. Good find!

Yea, but if you go to the link, you can buy access time to their service information. They have different plans, ranging from about $8 for 'one day access' to $450.00 for 'annual access'.
Actually the WIS system isn't that easy to use. I have one to play around with for months and it is pita to find a simple piece of info, eg torque specs. Really hope Bentley Manual will pick up this project soon...

To me, 'ideal' would be to have a Shop Manual IN MY HANDS while working on my smart.......but that's just me.

Ditto. It's also much easier to work alongside on the smart with a hardcopy manual rather than have a wireless laptop near the car etc.

·
Super Moderator
28,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting battery info

From the DIY link:

The battery should be inspected and tested every 2 years or 20,000 miles -- whichever comes first.
If you are planning to store your vehicle longer than 3 weeks, the battery should be disconnected and placed on a trickle charger to preserve the life of the battery.
:)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah, it looks pretty basic but a good start. This appears to be a beta version of an info link so maybe more expanded info will come. Or just a teaser for the subscription section to intice some cash flow.:)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Anyone look at the procedure for replacing the air filter? OUCH! Labor intensive, but I suppose in a cold climate it would be great. I like the warm weather method - just bend bit and pieces out of the way and viola...you're done.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Doing it wrong again...

Thanks Jwight for pointing out the battery info.

FWIW, whenever I've had to leave mine in the garage for a while, it's been connected to a battery tender without the battery disconnected. I've been doing that for over a year with no evidence so far of damage to the car. Not wanting to have to pull out that PITA piece of styrofoam everytime I think I'll stick with the "current" program. (I don't know if it means anything, but the tech who replaced my battery at the 2.0 upgrade just re-connected my battery tender leads to the new battery and routed them back out through the foam. No mention was made of needing to disconnect the battery when using the tender.)

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts

I posted somewhere else that if a group of smart owners or club would pool their $$, they could set up an email address for all their members to have access and could use it all the time.

If 10 people participated, it brings the cost down to $45/per person for a year. 25 people would be only $18/per person. Not ideal, but still affordable.

At least there's an alternative now.........:)
Print screen could be the way to go. Print each page to file, and assemble them into a PDF for distribution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stop Service wrench blinking

I have an '08 Fourtwo that is much less then 12 months old and only 2,500 miles. I waited 18 months for this car. How do I shut the blinking wrench off? The dealer wants $150 ++. :mad:

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I have an '08 Fourtwo that is much less then 12 months old and only 2,500 miles. I waited 18 months for this car. How do I shut the blinking wrench off? The dealer wants $150 ++. :mad:
Tell your dealer if he wants you to come in for real service they had better be a bit more accomidating.

Or try http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/maintenance-indicator-reset-service-wrench-17189/
(using the search feature under google and searched for wrench chicken reset)

Hey, have you had your 2.0 upgrade yet, Its free

1 - 20 of 37 Posts