Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any body else notice the wheels look different on the Smart USA website pictures?

Wonder why?

p.s.-Personally I loved the former steel wheels shown on the Pure model (they really highlighted the minimalist "less is more" charm of the fortwo) - I wonder if the new illustration is just a cheesy hubcap as the specs still say steel wheels on the Pure.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
They're called Srealies in the UK, and they have very attractive 'Turbo' wheel covers.

I would trade my 9 spoke alloys for the above combo.

'Smart' people know size does matter

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
517 Posts
It looks like they have the smart logo on them - which is all well and fine on the ad, because it'll be the only time they line up.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Any body else notice the wheels look different on the Smart USA website pictures?

They are plastic wheel covers. Smart USA is sufficiently proud of these to mention them specifically in the latest newsletter:
"The base model, pure, will come standard with many convenience features such as the 5-speed automated manual transmission that can be driven in either manual or automatic mode. In addition, central remote locking system, a 2-spoke leather steering wheel, stylized wheel covers, and much more are standard."​
Personally I'm with you, Lewis; I like the minimalist look of the steel wheels. At least you can pry the covers off and use them as frisbies...

PS: They also updated the picture on the Passion page to show the correct 9-spoke alloys.

M

·
0 Posts
Speaking of wheels, does anyone think the 9 spoke wheels are physically the same wheel in the front as in the back, meaning the same width and just different tire sizes? One of the things I like about the Pulse (which is not coming into the country) has the 175/55's in the front and 195/55s in the back. If the rims are the same all the way around the first thing I'm going to do is replace the 155/60's with 195/55s, move the 175/55s to the front and but the 195/55s on the rear.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Speaking of wheels, does anyone think the 9 spoke wheels are physically the same wheel in the front as in the back, meaning the same width and just different tire sizes? One of the things I like about the Pulse (which is not coming into the country) has the 175/55's in the front and 195/55s in the back. If the rims are the same all the way around the first thing I'm going to do is replace the 155/60's with 195/55s, move the 175/55s to the front and but the 195/55s on the rear.

Great idea.

Can anyone confirm the rims are the same? And the switch above will be the same as the pulse wheel/tire setup? ie, no wheel change needed, just tires?

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I believe the wheels are indeed different widths. For what is worth....from the UK cataloge, the wheels are supposedly 4.5 x 15 on the front, and 5.5 on the rear. Indeed the pulse has wider wheels: 5.0 and 6.5 on the front and rear respectively.

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks SmartCard. 5.5" is the minimum width for the 195/55s. I could buy another pair of rear wheels and be able to get the 195/55s on the rear. All the other wheels and tires may be available as dealer options. Time will tell.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The current smarts have different size wheels on the front and rear. Not only are they different widths, but they also have different offsets. You can run a front wheel on the back but you cannot run a back wheel on the front. The European Pulse and the discontinued roadster had wider wheels than the Canadian for two and they can be used on the for two, front on front and rear on rear. The problem is the wider wheels on the pulse were not offered in Canada and the Canadian dealers were not allowed to order anything that was not available in Canada. The only source was E-bay or friends in Europe. Some of the aftermarket venders are able to source these and other aftermarket wheels but the price is a bit more than I am willing to pay.

The new 451 smart does have different width and offset wheels front and rear. It will be interesting to see if Mr. Penske will be able to supply Europe only accessories or not. If nothing else, I,m sure the US aftermarket suppliers will come alive shortly after the cars hit the US dealers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The rear tyre size for the pulse is 195/50 R 15. While I think these are the best rims of the bunch, getting the rims in the US and finding matching tyres in the proper sizes will keep most people from getting them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just hope there is some way to get the little hub covers from the Euro Pure which will be needed when I remove the big ugly hubcaps

I think it's needed to keep the wheel bearings clean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts