Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the one from the front and it is an odd design. If you turn the bulb over and look at from the bottom, the pins form a "v." Not sure why they did this except to make it difficult for the owners.

Does anyone know the model number of this bulb? A search online reveals nothing.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
According to the owners manual, the bulb type is "PY 21 W" for the front turn signal.

What do you mean the pins form a V? If you're saying the wire leads coming from the bulb are bent back up towards the bulb... that's normal. Helps maintain contact with the electrical connections.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bulb on the left is an 1156... that is the standard bulb for single fillaments... my 25 year old Mercedes and my 45 year old Volkswagen us them. On the smart, those "bayonets" on the sides form a "v" not a "-."

Here we go:

I did find an LED option:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/7507-py21w-led-bulb-18-smd-led-tower-bau15s-retrofit-car/527/1702/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=BAU15S-x18-T-CAR&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=CMyn0PWat84CFYhqfgodjCoMeQ

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd say it is a manufacturer's design that is different, they probably would function the same as long as they fit. Can you show a diagram of the Smart bulb?, and why it would not fit?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Is it an amber bulb?

If by design it is an amber bulb in a clear enclosure ... the pins are not 180 degrees apart from each other, and this is to prevent a non amber bulb from being installed. It's error-proofing.

The correct amber bulb should have the correct angle between the pins.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said, 1156 is the standard bulb for this type of application (single filament). A "regular amber bulb" does not fit due to the pins not being in alignment.

My brain is what I use for "error-proofing."

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think I get what you are saying now. The lugs are not 180 degrees apart, but only like 120 degrees apart. If so, yes this must be a bulb specific to what your car has.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,755 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Maybe non-standard for what you're used to, but that bulb is used in many/most German cars.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never seen this bulb in a Mercedes. It appears as though this is an example of the Renault influence.

Just an FYI in case someone decides to order an 1156 LED bulb.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those are simply links to ads with that keyword, it does not mean those style bulbs are used by Mercedes vehicles.

After 9+ years with Mercedes - and to the best of my knowledge - 1156 bulbs are used (or the 7506 European equivalent) for turn signals.

As I've previously stated, smart's use of a different style bulb is obviously a result of Renault's influence.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts