Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a resource or consensus on what the fair market value of a fairly base Passion coupe would be? My local tax assessor has valued the car for tax purposes at $300 over what I paid and I need some facts other than the sticker for the appeal.

Any help is appreciated... Edmunds and Kelly do not have the smart listed at all for used car values.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not understand why your local tax accesor would do that? Do you pay taxes on the car when you paid it?
We have the pleasure of paying sales tax when purchasing a vehicle and an annual bill on your birthday for propery tax on cars...

My sticker was $13,700 + destination but they say the car is worth $14,050. For comparison, our Explorer had a sticker of $34,000 and was valued at $20,000 for tax purposes in about the same timeframe. It's really just a principle of the matter thing... I just hate paying more in taxes (even it it turns out to be $20) than I have to.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
My guess (and that's all it is) is they're using the higher asking prices for used smarts seen on eBay and other sites. What they should be using are actual sale prices of used smarts, although I don't know where they can find those (car registration data which they should be able to get?) :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ah, yes - the old . . .

Ah, yes - the old "stick-it-to-you-every-year" ad valorem tax system. We had that in CO when I lived there - bad enuff to paid 7 1/2% sales tax then get stuck with the extra tax every year.
They could never figure out why everyone drove old beaters in Denver and then complained about the smog, too! Had they eliminated that tax alone, folks would have bought newer, less polluting vehicles.

I think I'd fight for at least no more than the sticker price and try to get some depreciation, as well. EBay isn't a reliable source of value - it reflects what people are willing to pay - not actual value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts