Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are over 6,000,000 vehicles involved in wrecks in the US each year; cost surpasses 230 billion dollars a year, almost 3 million injuries and 40,000 plus deaths. Approximately 115 people die each day in motor vehicle crashes in America, this is roughly one every 13 minutes and nearly 3000 people die in crashes each day worldwide.

I recommend that anyone buying a Smart go the extra mile and purchase the side airbags!

I realize these pictures are explicit and they are the exception not the rule. However, I would like to remind everyone that the Smart car is a city car.

Please drive smart, keep your Smart car in the fairway and make use of it for what it was designed for, a great city transporter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I recommend that anyone buying a Smart go the extra mile and purchase the side airbags!

I realize these pictures are explicit and they are the exception not the rule. However, I would like to remind everyone that the Smart car is a city car.
I think the side airbags are standard equipment on all models. For a head-on crash, that smart's front end looks awfully good.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Yup, you're right, fish! Check out the taillights....certainly not smart's for sure. What about the yellow one, fish? That seems to be a Smart at first glance. Hope you don't mind my calling you fish for short.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Sure looks like a t-boned yellow smart to me.

I recently came across the results of the European 450 smart crash tests (the one that got it only three stars), and one of the comments noted involved side impact (it recommended side air bags and padding the frame (tridion) over the doors). I believe both of those concerns were rectified in the 2007 Gen II (451) smarts. Also, there was a problem with lower leg injury caused by the dashboard configuration that may have driven the re-design of the 451’s dash.

Unfortunately they haven’t reported crash results on the 451 yet.

See: http://www.euroncap.com/tests/smart_city_coupe_2000/29.aspx

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ignoble End

Sure looks like a t-boned yellow smart to me.
...but it isn't.

Look very carefully at the shape of the front lights: not quite a 450, not quite a 451 either. And check out the position of the side turn signal repeater.

I submit this as exhibit A: http://static.w3sh.com/wp-content/upload/11857_11.gif

That's right, it's our good old friend the Shuanghuan Noble (Mark 1 version, before they toned down some of the more outrageous smart plagiarism). The reason the tridion appears to have disintegrated is because it's a fake, plastic tridion. No wonder DaimlerChrysler is upset. :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm Dumb Not Smart

I regret my error, your correct it is not a Smart and the crash was not even in Canada! It may be a Suzuki or a VW CroosFox?

However, I still believe the Smart is a very skillful city transporter and not the best choice for long journeys on our congested Interstate highways?

I understand the Smart comes standard with dual front airbags. However, according to car.com the side-impact airbags are optional?

Passenger cars sold after 2013 will be required to have side-impact protection as standard equipment under new regulations introduced by the NHTSA.

Carmakers voluntarily agreed to install side air bags in all vehicles by September 2009. Any idea when the DOT safety report about the Smart will be available?

As bigger and faster vehicles are manufactured, bigger and faster fools will wreck them. So, let

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I rode a motorcycle for years without an incident. I drive my car the same way...defensively. Don't depend on the other guy to do the right thing. Expect them to do the wrong thing and be prepared. Make sure they see you and take nothing for granted. The keep making cars "safer" and forget to tell people to drive safely. I'll get off my soap box now. :)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
...but it isn't.

I submit this as exhibit A: http://static.w3sh.com/wp-content/upload/11857_11.gif

That's right, it's our good old friend the Shuanghuan Noble (Mark 1 version, before they toned down some of the more outrageous smart plagiarism). The reason the tridion appears to have disintegrated is because it's a fake, plastic tridion. No wonder DaimlerChrysler is upset. :(
Good catch, MicroNut!!! If someone had shown me that picture without my doing some checking, I surely would have said it was a Smart, even though I saw the results of the 70mph barracade crash and it wasn't anything as bad as either one of those were!!

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Lets just wait for the official smart crash tests to come out here in America from the America n testing groups.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.