Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Ferrari lost because either he was slow off the line or the "smart" jumped it. Not sure what was in that thing, but it seems to run a bit faster than mine. Maybe it's the European spec. ;-)

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Ferrari lost because either he was slow off the line or the "smart" jumped it. Not sure what was in that thing, but it seems to run a bit faster than mine. Maybe it's the European spec. ;-)
The Ferrari lost because it was on the losing side of the HP:Weight equation.

The Smart most probably had a 1300cc Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle engine putting out 170HP+. They tend to have rather brisk acceleration.

Google "smartuki"

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Hayabusa 1300cc turbo pumps out 500Bhp. Getting it to the ground is a feat of advanced engineering. I doubt we will ever see this option in a production smartcar as the engine occupies the passanger seat. Give me a cold air induction system and low restriction exhausts for my fortwo and I'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The Ferrari lost because it was poorly driven. Any Ferrari less than five years old should run in the area of 12 seconds all day.
The Ferrari lost because he probably had his air conditioner on. Whenever I race my Smart I always keep mine off. It adds incredible power (that plus I always try to race going downhill)

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Ferrari lost because he probably had his air conditioner on. Whenever I race my Smart I always keep mine off. It adds incredible power (that plus I always try to race going downhill)

Remember to keep the windowss closed to reduce drag!!! :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
from what i've seen this smart aside from what you read on youtube, has a gsxr 1k engine in it and it really did only beat the ferrari as the ferrari was poorly driven...

look at all the vids and you'll see smarts with bike engines barley beating ricers in fwd 4cyl cars, the bike engine is great for crazy wheelspinning action and sounds great, but they dont have to low down torque that a normal car has and the daily tractibility..

my smart has approx 170nm and thats at 3250rpm 80% of that from 1400rpm till over 5k it accelerates quicker than my other car which has a 4.0L 4 cam 32v V8 in it at speeds lower than 120km/h....

and you can see in all the smart bike vids, how they fly off the line and then up top fall over as the full size car reels them in.... sure a turbo busa can make 500hp...

i wouldnt want 500hp in a smart and even 200hp in a smart would be far far far too much, the chassis cant handle it and it was never designed to be something it's not...

if sticking a bike engine into anything i'd have one in a 600kg clubman, something thats even lighter than a smart and can take the power and handle..

even saying that, i'd still rather stick with the car engines that they usually have..

pound for pound $ for $ no car on the planet can match something like this
Caterham Cars - Designed for racing, built for living

·
Registered
171 Posts
topgear uk test track, turbo busa powered clubman

same track, but production model, with car engine (2.3L 4cyl, note it's faster than the turbo bike one)

and heres the stig a tad slower, but 1.17.9

·
Registered
171 Posts
yeah, the atom sorry no chance.... not in the same league, 2sec slower than the caterham and costs more... i think my smart would be close... or not.. lol

that caterham the stig drove was faster than the Zonda F and a veyron around their circuit.... and much quicker than the atom.... and 10sec faster than a corvette, but i dont believe thay have tested the 400hp atom, although that caterham was a 2.3L n/a 4cyl.... i wonder what a turbo kit would do for the performance... also there are V8 caterhams runnig around... probably slower i'd say... they claim 2.88sec 0-60mph for the stock r500...

kinda like the smart really, tiny 2 seater... hmmm ;) might trade lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
but the winner here has to bee this loon, why put a bike engine in a heavy smart!, just put wheels on the bike engine! haha it's just funny, although a real superkart will beat it but top effort, this guy has HUGE balls

1 - 16 of 16 Posts