Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im a new member , im Diego from Guatemala C.A i just bought a smart w450 2001 , as a daily drive , but recently i started to have problems with the car , yesterday i took the car for a little spin and for no reason the ESP or tracktion light turned on , push the throttle to max but the car didnt moved , so i had to pull over turn thr car off and thrn on and the problem was fixed for a couple of minutes ... anyway had to do the same thing like 10 time in a 25 miles trip , the light turns on randomly for no reason and the only way to fix it is to turn the car off and then back on . I will try to record a video to show u guys , i was reading a couple of threads in this forum and it says that the ESP sensor might be the problem , but a second opinion would be great , i really apprecite your help guys .

Cheers
DiegojToro

Bonus pic of my morning ride :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys , so id took the car to the shop and they used the OBD 2 code reader , the thing is that he wast able to connect to the ABS module , so he told me that maybe that was the reason i was getting that problem cuz the ABS module is not working , what do you guys think ? the ABS module is the ESP module ?

appreciate your help

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
ESP & ABS should be the same module. You need to find someone with a code reader that can scan the ESP module & see what the codes are, that it is throwing. Just throwing parts at this concern could get costly and not correct the issue. Diagnose the concern first, then make the appropriate repair.

·
Registered
495 Posts
check your reluctor rings!! they are on each wheel a ring with "teeth" much like a cog... if one or more are cracked or broken, they need to be changed.

also some models (early 450) you can disconnect the ABS mod by unplugging the fuze... its not wise if you drive freeway speeds, but it will get you home.

done it a few times here in NY when the snow got deep, traction got sketchy.. and roads with loose gravel.. Smarts with W I D E tires dont like loose gravel roads .

it confuzes the ABS/ traction control...

hope this helps..

let us know how you make out..

oh and how about a pic?

Steveg.. 05 450 S. Mann cabrio.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had an 02 that did the same thing, it was the yaw sensor, it would go to idle, I could restart it and go another mile or less , the sensor is behind the brake booster bolted to the floor ,has 3 wire plug, unplug it and test drive!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me give you a kick update .

So a friend of mine had a scanner tool but it was specifically for SMART , so he was able to read the EPS code that I’m getting . but he showed me a different code P2046 maybe someone can give me more info about this code ( different subject ) LOL

Anyway he had a ESP sensor ( the one that goes under the car ) so id borrowed it for a couple of days , tested and still had the same problem . then I saw that I had a flat tyre and noticed that not all the tires had the same PSI ,so I inflate them and lets say that the problem reduced compare to when I had the flat tyres . so I decided to call the guy that has the scanner tool for MERCEDES and SMART , told him about the problem I was having with my car and he told me that before going with him to scan the car ( he will charge me around $50 dollars) I should check for mechanical problems , like a different size tyre on the car , the reluctor rings . etc. .

So my question is .

What mechanical stuff could cause this problem ?

I did checked the front rims and they are bent . my dad says that the front right lower control arm is a little benT , would that active the ESP problem

I really appreciate your help guys .

Im attaching a couple of pics of the front rims the and the ESP sensor.

Ps. I was reading in a UK forum that I could remove the ESP fuse on the fuse box and try to see if the problem stops , is that an option ?:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Let me give you a kick update .

So a friend of mine had a scanner tool but it was specifically for SMART , so he was able to read the EPS code that I’m getting . but he showed me a different code P2046 maybe someone can give me more info about this code ( different subject ) LOL

Anyway he had a ESP sensor ( the one that goes under the car ) so id borrowed it for a couple of days , tested and still had the same problem . then I saw that I had a flat tyre and noticed that not all the tires had the same PSI ,so I inflate them and lets say that the problem reduced compare to when I had the flat tyres . so I decided to call the guy that has the scanner tool for MERCEDES and SMART , told him about the problem I was having with my car and he told me that before going with him to scan the car ( he will charge me around $50 dollars) I should check for mechanical problems , like a different size tyre on the car , the reluctor rings . etc. .

So my question is .

What mechanical stuff could cause this problem ?

I did checked the front rims and they are bent . my dad says that the front right lower control arm is a little benT , would that active the ESP problem

I really appreciate your help guys .

Im attaching a couple of pics of the front rims the and the ESP sensor.

Ps. I was reading in a UK forum that I could remove the ESP fuse on the fuse box and try to see if the problem stops , is that an option ?:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Thanks
Bent wheels should not cause the problem. If the control arm is bent so that the wheel alignment is off and the steering wheel is not straight when driving straight, that can cause a fault with the ESP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i took the car with this specialized guy on smart vehicles ( at least that was he said lol ) anyway , he used the special OBD Mercedes equipment to make the diagnostic , and it appeared that the transversal acceleration sensor had a problem . to my understanding that the ESP sensor on my car .

This is the part # BOSCH 0004768V0020000 but he said that was a different sensor , anyway he wasn’t able to locate that sensor so what he did was just to erase the codes , the problem wasn’t solved but definitely is not doing it every 5 miles like it did before .

My question is , does the ESP sensor is the one that controls the lateral and transversal acceleration , ABS and TRACTION on my W450 smart 2001 ?

Appreciate your help guys , have a good one

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys quick update took the car to shop and they we found a code 46 Load fault in monitoring module) so it gave us a list of possible problems one of them it says that it might have a problem with the BCP valve , anyone has any idea of what the f its wrong with my car .. Lol

Appreciate your help guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys , so quick update i was able to fix the problem and it was pretty damn easy , the problem was that the throttle body of the car was dirty as hell , so it has problems with the acceleration and that was the reason it was blocking the car , so i just cleaned it with carbu clean and that was it , the car is running smooth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I Have the same problem in my smart ... P2046 error "load failure in monitoring module" , trust plus light come on and throttle does not respond.
I have changed all sensores, turbo, throttle body and all hoses turbo with new and genuine parts... Can you help me?
Thanks a lot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts