Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into a guy who had a 2008 or 2009 Smart. He has sold it, but showed me a photo of his old car. it had what I think are called "scissor" doors. They rotated up to open. Was that ever an option on any Smarts? Ah, I think Google answered the question for me.

Len

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,219 Posts
The vertical doors look ok in my opinion, but I can't stand how the front fender door jamb looks with the new hinge work. It really looks chopped up to me when the new larger hinges are installed. I know, it won't show up until the door is opened, but it you see a smart in person with the door conversion, you will see what I am referring to.

·
Banned
6 Posts
The vertical doors look ok in my opinion, but I can't stand how the front fender door jamb looks with the new hinge work. It really looks chopped up to me when the new larger hinges are installed. I know, it won't show up until the door is opened, but it you see a smart in person with the door conversion, you will see what I am referring to.
thanks !

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That aside, I just don't think basically ANY Lambo door kit for any case looks good. Mostly because what's the point of having to open your door a bit the normal way just to them pivot it upwards? Lamborghini doors were awesome because they just went up, not out THEN up.

Plus, I can't imagine the potential extra wiggle room the door has when closing can be good for the door latch over time...

·
I'll figger this car out
140 Posts
But in a tight parking space: it sure would be handy to have them... :giggle:
Would it make that much difference, given that the width of the earlier cars before the 453 is less wide than most cars?
Personally, I'd like to see suicide doors on a smart. That would make access easier, I feel. But that's just me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I work where we park so close together I can hardly get out with the doors being as long as they are (longest doors of any car I've owned by 8") I have to literally turn sideways and squeeze out while holding the door so as not to bump the guys around me. I would love some scissor doors.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Would it make that much difference, given that the width of the earlier cars before the 453 is less wide than most cars?
Personally, I'd like to see suicide doors on a smart. That would make access easier, I feel. But that's just me.
Where would you put the door handles? You've got mirrors that would probably be in the way...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts