Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know my answer, but....

My wife calls me broke down on the side of the road. She tells me the Smart was hot yesterday. Today as she's broke down she thinks it was hot again (sitting in traffic). But its been home sitting for some time. It's still not starting. What may have happened?

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Do you mean "hot", like warm ambient temperature inside the car, or "HOT", like the red temp light illuminated, as in engine overheat?
If it's the latter, you may have a boatload of problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean "hot", like warm ambient temperature inside the car, or "HOT", like the red temp light illuminated, as in engine overheat?
If it's the latter, you may have a boatload of problems.
I didn't hear about a red light showing. And that car's always hot especially when sitting in traffic.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
Was the temperature inside the car hot, like ineffective air conditioning, or was the engine temperature hot.
Unfortunately, the smart 451 doesn't have a coolant temp gauge, only a red 'idiot' light to tell you the engine has overheated. That light comes on only a few degrees before the cylinder head gasket fails and/or the head warps. At the point the light comes on, if damage hasn't already occurred, the engine must be cooled down immediately, i.e. shut down, to avoid damage. Of course that's a catch-22, because shutting the engine down stops coolant from circulating which will allow the temp to climb even higher.
Many owners have added an aftermarket device like the Ultra-Gauge or ScanGauge II to be able to monitor coolant temp.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I get a call from Carmax where we bought the car and warranty and they tell me its probably something to do with the ECM and they can't fix it. I need to pay up $650 to send it to Nashville and there they will see if its covered under the warranty we paid over $2500 for. What local type shops should I look for to get this fixed? Or is there a fix I might try?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try a local independent repair shop that specializes in Import vehicles, especially Mercedes Benz.
I've found a shop and might try it. But they said I would have to bring it in to be checked out to "see" if the repair would be covered under warranty. And this check isn't covered under the warranty. I never will buy an extended warranty again. I usually won't. I'm sure this shop operates at about a $100/hr shop rate.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Why $650? Sounds like they are trying to weasel their way out of their own warranty. Is that the deductible?

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
So I get a call from Carmax where we bought the car and warranty and they tell me its probably something to do with the ECM and they can't fix it. I need to pay up $650 to send it to Nashville and there they will see if its covered under the warranty we paid over $2500 for.
So, you did ask Carmax for a full refund of their worthless $2,500 extended warranty?

I didn't write the check and I am mad as H LL for you . . . :bangwall:

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
I'd demand my $2500 back.
And if you can't get their attention I'd be very factual as I headed down the social networking path - Yelp, Face Book, BBB etc. until I felt I had gotten $5,000 in satisfaction! :2gunsfiring:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm mostly mad at myself. I have known for years that these warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I should have held my ground and not bought it. Both Maxcare and Carmax are weasels. The Operations Manager for Carmax tells me they sent a Smart to Nashville a while back and Maxcare denied the claim. Didn't tell me why. I guess any lie would do. They then had to wrangle to get the $650 from them. Funny thing is if you find a car in Nashville, they will transfer it to Memphis for free. Other cities do have a charge, they only charge $699 to ship from Salt Lake City!

I am going to demand (for what its worth) to get all the $2600 back as they've sold me a worthless agreement. They aren't doing nearly enough to try and make this right. I'm sure I'm not the 1st customer they've lost like this, but they've lost me. I'm sure my local BBB will hear from me. Google already has!

There is a shop nearby. They have told me that I 1st need to contact Maxcare to see if the will let me use the shop. Then I'll pay at least $125+ to find any of the easy problems. Then $110/hr to search more. I just don't know if this car is worth this much. I can buy another for $5000.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Usually extended warranties have a clause for refunds, particularly if one never used the benefits. Let's hope this is the case with this one!!! (It would be on the paperwork....)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Usually extended warranties have a clause for refunds, particularly if one never used the benefits. Let's hope this is the case with this one!!! (It would be on the paperwork....)

There is a provision for canceling. I only hope that junk fees won't eat up too much.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
So I get a call from Carmax where we bought the car and warranty and they tell me its probably something to do with the ECM and they can't fix it. I need to pay up $650 to send it to Nashville and there they will see if its covered under the warranty we paid over $2500 for. What local type shops should I look for to get this fixed? Or is there a fix I might try?
With a vague symptom of "the car is not starting" there is nothing anyone can tell you that will help you repair it. That is simply not enough information and there are too many possibilities.

You need a independent repair shop that specializes in Mercedes vehicles that has the capability to scan all systems in the car. Otherwise they will be running in circles and guessing, as most repair shops do.

Pretty much any extended warranty has written into the contract that the vehicle owner is responsible for any diagnosis, testing and disassembly in order to determine the cause of failure. Only then can the warranty administrator make a decision as to whether the repair is covered and to what extent.

Any shop that attempts to work on all makes of vehicle can only be equally incompetent on all. As for a "ECM problem", it is very unlikely to be a ECM failure, as they are quite rare. Unless it is a Chrysler product. :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the engine got "HOT" the first thing that needs to be checked compression. Cylinder walls can get damaged and the result is low compression, usually you can notice a difference in the sound and speed of the engine while cranking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts