Smart Car of America Forum banner

smart work at MB dealers

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SmartCard 
#1 ·
I have a Mercedes dealer a couple of miles down the road from where I live, but the smart dealer will be at the other end of down - anyone know if regular Mercedes dealers can get smart parts or perform warranty work?

#2 ·
Thay probably can but will not want to....The "official" Smart dealer's techs will get the specialized training and have access to the on line accounts to get latest and greates ECU tunes and other must have info...

The typical MB dealer (who must pay for the subscription) will not want the hassel for the relativly low volume of Smarts the first few years....

But who knows, perhaps in three years the $5~$7 dollar a gallon gas prices will have 90,000~120,000 Smarts on the road and the service work by Authorized dealers will be lucritive

#3 ·
As Fredvon4 alludes to, the MB dealer will probably not want to work on it, but more importantly will not be authorized to perform any warranty work (which will last for 3-4 years). So effectively the answer is a definite no until sometime in 2011 or 12.

#4 ·
lhoboy

I suspect that the first one or two years we will see some Case By Case exceptions for the new owners who live and excessively long way from an "Authorized Dealer".

These exceptions will only be for piddly concerns that any typical MB dealer service sections can handle without the specialized training.

I do not think SmartUSA/PAG will approve a local dealer for any engine management, handling, transmission, or safety device warranty concerns.

You will be forced to tow, haul, or drive to an "Authorized dealer".

This will tick off a LOT of distant owners, as most new car warranties for this price range vehicle do NOT include free towing or loaner car..... tis going to be interesting and I bet painful for some of us who live out in the sticks....

Fortunately for me, I am a very well skilled electrician, mechanic and motor head.... there won't be too much on this car that I can not remedy myself. Besides, I own a whole stable of vehicles so I can suffer dragging it to Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio and leave it a week or two....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.