Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Since we've got at least two confirmed entries for SMARTBALL 2021 (or as committed as one can be to a future, first time event), seems like it's time to start its own thread. That said, here's to discussing all things relating to a 2,800 mile cross country run/dash/journey in 2021.

While it's doubtful that many (if any) records will be broken, that fact remains that such an event is a test of drivers and machines. 36+ hours can be expected. That's a day and a half. As I mentioned elsewhere, Le Mans is only 24 hours. And while a Smart may not be running flat out, it will still be running. For 36 hours or more. Almost non-stop. That's a lot to ask, from any car.

So plenty to discuss. Routes, preparation, equipment, spares. Join in!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sounds interesting.... is there a start and finish locations as yet?
Initial conversations revolved around it being the 50th anniversary on the of the Cannoball run next year's and the original route. The 36hr time referenced above may or may not be the original route.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds interesting.... is there a start and finish locations as yet?
So my thinking was to keep it as close to the original as possible, at least for start and finish: Red Ball Garage in NYC, Queen Mary in LA.

as for the actual rout taken, up for discussion, obviously. Roads have changed in 50 years, I’m sure. I was going to start reviewing the original route. It’s pretty well documented in Cannonball by Brock Yates.

In terms of departure date, much as it would be cool to do it on the same date as the original, plus 50 years, I’m thinking it might be best to go a few days before or after. I expect others will be considering something similar.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Initial conversations revolved around it being the 50th anniversary on the of the Cannoball run next year's and the original route. The 36hr time referenced above may or may not be the original route.
The 36 hours is for the original run in 1971 by the Ferrari Daytona.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Would love to have participated with one of my electrics, but I would have had to have started about a year ago to be there at the start. :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 17,500 miles
Would make for an interesting calculation. With a range of 70 miles or so, how many recharges and how much time for each recharge to cross the country?

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Most sources seem to say the point to point distance was 2,863 miles. At 70 miles a charge, an ED will need to charge 41 times to make the trek. Plan very very far ahead. xD

Reactions: jetfuel

·
Registered
398 Posts
So I’m wondering what sort of tires would be best for a 36 hour, 3,000 mile run at sustained highway+ speeds? I’m thinking 4 and a spare, all same size. But beyond that? I’m not a tire expert by any means, but I am coming to have a greater appreciation for what they can and cannot do. That said, what about:

Width? 155-195? (Other?)

Profile? Higher or lower?

Ratings? Load, temperature? Wet traction?Blacktop in NV, NM, and AZ can get pretty toasty.

Low rolling resistance?

All season? Summer? (Not anticipating a polar themed Smartball first go round).

It might be interesting to see who gets the best fuel economy on such a run.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I should be running what I am on now Hankook ventus concept 2's all around. If I was buying a tire it would be the best rain tire. Roll flats are interesting but still haven't made me want to buy them to this point.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
As I stated in the other thread, not only have I done this before (ending just a couple hundred miles short) but I've done something like this three times, with the latter two times in 450s.

-- Round 1 was a brand new factory fresh 453, stock everything.
-- Round 2 was a 450 coupe I got sight-unseen. It had Blizzaks and I still drove it home during the peak of summer.
-- Round 3 was a 450 cabrio. It came with all seasons sitting right at the wear bars.

You won't need to do any car mods for a trip like this. Grab your spare, maybe a couple tools, then hit the road! :)
Stock equivalent tires will work just fine. IMO, premium tires will certainly be overkill just for something like this. I'll be rolling on Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires.

·
Registered
398 Posts
As I stated in the other thread, not only have I done this before (ending just a couple hundred miles short) but I've done something like this three times, with the latter two times in 450s.

-- Round 1 was a brand new factory fresh 453, stock everything.
-- Round 2 was a 450 coupe I got sight-unseen. It had Blizzaks and I still drove it home during the peak of summer.
-- Round 3 was a 450 cabrio. It came with all seasons sitting right at the wear bars.

You won't need to do any car mods for a trip like this. Grab your spare, maybe a couple tools, then hit the road! :)
Stock equivalent tires will work just fine. IMO, premium tires will certainly be overkill just for something like this. I'll be rolling on Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires.
I admire your willingness to tempt the fates. I used to feel the same way, but I think a bit of disaster planning isn’t a bad idea these days. If nothing else, a full size spare and spare belt, and tools.

As for tires, just considering the various options available for the Smart. Like you, I’ve got Quatrac 5 tires, in addition to the OEM ones that came with the cars. But a 6,000 mile run might be a pretty good test of a particular model.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I admire your willingness to tempt the fates. I used to feel the same way, but I think a bit of disaster planning isn’t a bad idea these days. If nothing else, a full size spare and spare belt, and tools.

As for tires, just considering the various options available for the Smart. Like you, I’ve got Quatrac 5 tires, in addition to the OEM ones that came with the cars. But a 6,000 mile run might be a pretty good test of a particular model.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would be so down! I’m in Portland, Oregon and have been wanting to do a cross country run in my smart. At least I like the idea of it, lol. Would it start on the east coast, or west coast?

·
Registered
398 Posts
So the thinking was to leave from NYC and try to trace the original route(s), keeping in mind that it’s been 50 years, and the roads have changed a bit in that time. If you’re coming from Portland, you’d qualify for a Double Canonball - coast to coast to coast. I guess those of us on the east coast would as well, come to think of it. Unless you can get a Smart into a aircraft cargo hold or a train baggage car. Or maybe a few into a truck container, like in The Italian Job.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts