Smart Car of America Forum banner

241 - 260 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
How are you all coming back? We're planning hitting the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and stuff like that... Taking about a week...
Bout the same here. initially I just wanted to ease the My Smart out to California and run some of the You Tube TV canyon roads with it, then drive up the PC Highway to Washington. Then Head back through Monument Valley on the way back east. Now the "Beat the Van" Pace will push My smart harder that I would have getting to California
and a drop off after Monument Valley of my Brother in Texas which would take us through Colorado before heading east. I have 2 weeks vacation to do it all in.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am the organizer for the So Cal Smarties and we have about 30 members who have signed up to welcome you to the Los Angeles area and your successful finish on the anniversary of the 50th Cannonball Run. My concern is that I need a time and location as to where we should meet-up? The parking lots near the Portofino Inn are all paid parking and the area is usually congested, especially during the warmer months. Hopefully, a few of you will be arriving at the finish at the same time and will let me know. The other issue is that the only way I can contact the other members who have rsvp'd for this event, is on our website. If a time and location cannot be determined, I will regrettably have to cancel this event. We can also meetup somewhere else as long as you let me know.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The Time would be typical Show and Shine/ Meet and Greet times usually 8 am to 12 pm or 10 am to 2pm. So pick on that is best for the So Cal Smarties. The location I would feel with in 20 miles miles of the Redondo Beach area. It would not be much ability to greet finishers of the SmartBall run because the arrival times will be whenever they are and
totally unpredictable. So schedule a car meet for the group as a event to do what we love to show and share our Smart cars for Saturday May 8th 2021 and there will be some SmartBall associated Smarts who will be attending. Then that is final and set in stone for a Saturday May 8th 2021 gathering of So Cal Smarties. Once the Location is posted we will set it in our gps units.

Remember... SmartBall will leave NYC at 4am May 6th 2021. Smarts on a 40 hour pace will arrive in the Redondo Beach California area at Friday 5pm May 7th 2021. Those Smarts leaving NYC at the same time on a 55 hour pace will arrive in the Redondo Beach california area at Saturday 8am May 8th 2021. Those driving from home will more likely set themselves to arrive at the location of the So Cal Smarties group to enjoy the Cars and Camaraderie that we love based on the time and location you will set.

SMART MADNESS you could end up with some addition revenue and recognition with a few hours availability Saturday May 8th 2021. After the Harlem Edition is coming to California and needs an Underdash sub woofer and a Smart Madness window decal

all you gotta do is say ....... Doors open , come on in.............

·
Registered
268 Posts
The time frame is doable. The location will be the difficult part. If you could convince Madness to open up on Sat., May 8th, that would be ideal as there is plenty of street parking. I would call them tomorrow and get the ball rolling. You may have to try and get in touch with Boris, the owner, who is usually at their Texas location. The original location in Signal Hill near Long Beach is now a secondary location.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Another location that you might want to consider is the Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo, CA. It is located near LAX and they have plenty of street parking. The museum is free with a suggested donation and there are plenty of nearby places to stay as well as restaurants. The So Cal Smarties will be participating in their Orphan Car Show next Saturday and I will see if they would be interested in letting the group meet-up at their location. All of that would be contingent upon them not having another event taking place at the same time. Check out their website and see if you like the venue. I think a 10:00am-2:00pm would be a good time frame.

·
Registered
268 Posts
We, out of towners, know nothing about california locations, so we will show up to whatever location location is provided and have a good time.
I just left a message with Smartmadness & hopefully they will be interested in hosting a quick get-together on Sat. May 8th. I mentioned a timeframe between 10:00am-12:00pm. I will let you know what they have to say and hopefully they will agree to host.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There has been no response from Smartmadness so I have come up with an alternate location for the So Cal Smarties to meet up with the Smartball 2021 group. The location I have picked is the Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo, near LAX. The meet-up date will be Saturday, May 8th, and a meet-up time around 11:00am will allow for the Smartball participants to get some rest. The museum is free with an optional suggested donation and docent tours should be available. Go over to Google and check out their website and see what the museum is all about. Now, I need approval from the Smartball group and I need a person count. I spoke to the museum director and she will even provide recognition on May 8th for your group so let me know ASAP. If this is a go, I would suggest getting overnight accomodations in the El Segundo area. There is plenty of free parking either on the museum property or on the street in front of the museum. El Segundo is not too far from Redondo Beach and will put near the 105 & 405 freeways. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. The museum opens at 10:00am and should be open all day. Feel free to browse on your own.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Getting employees to give up a weekend day off having to pay overtime for Maybe a few sales?
Not surprising smartmadness didn't reply.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Excellent. And with in 15 minutes of Redondo Beach, Now its area Party.
So Cal Smarties Thank You So Much.

SmartBall tires mounted. Kuhmo ecsta PS-31. 185/15 55 front 205/50 15 rear..
Vroom Vroom Vroom......
I still need an approximate count as to how many people from Smartball plan on showing up at the museum? Without traffic concerns, it would be a 15 minute trip from Redondo to El Segundo. With traffic on the 405, the trip can take an hour. Surface streets are an option.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That's a neat looking Museum. I may have drive or fly out there and visit it sometime.
I knew of the Peterson museum but not this one. Thanks for suggesting it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Seems like that there will be people coming at various pace. Please feel free to let me know if you'll be "late". Took me three days to go from here to Cleveland, and I was 8 years younger. I can't imagine going much faster for more miles even with the three hour gain. But I'd definitely try to say hi to those who arrive later as well as those who come early...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sounds like a great event. Still wrapping my head around 50hours from NYC to RB. Crazy!

I plan to show up at the museum at 11a.

edit: I also have 2 rear 451 springs/shocks for sale (listed under the FS forum). Happy to bring them for the event in case anyone is interested. :)

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
The time frame is doable. The location will be the difficult part. If you could convince Madness to open up on Sat., May 8th, that would be ideal as there is plenty of street parking. I would call them tomorrow and get the ball rolling. You may have to try and get in touch with Boris, the owner, who is usually at their Texas location. The original location in Signal Hill near Long Beach is now a secondary location.
The last time we were at smart madness. Boris gave us a tour of he’s facility at Signal Hill. He gave us a bunch of free stuff, and t shirts. For both our smart car, and Fiat. They might not be interested, since there’s no actual head count. Is there one for this event?

Did Boris and Rachel, move to Texas?

Unlike when we asked them here. At the 2010 Nationals. Boris, Rachel, and a couple employees installers, were vendors at our event. There even shipped a modded car here. Over 1,500 miles. We had a over 230 car showing here.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hello SCOA,

If you would like to have us be a meeting point before the finish line, or to meet up after we would love to have you.

We would need some specific dates/times and I can get with the guys in the California Location and give them a chance to get organized and make sure they are there.
At this point come out to the Automotive Driving Museum with a couple of detailed Smarts some Decals and Tee Shirts for sale, that would be memorable enough. Because SmartBall and the So Cal Smarties are gonna be there Enjoying our Smarts. It would be a shame to miss us.

·
Registered
268 Posts
At this point come out to the Automotive Driving Museum with a couple of detailed Smarts some Decals and Tee Shirts for sale, that would be memorable enough. Because SmartBall and the So Cal Smarties are gonna be there Enjoying our Smarts. It would be a shame to miss us.
You should call them directly and see if they will respond. The last few times that I have tried to contact them and left a message resulted in no reply.

241 - 260 of 450 Posts