Smart Car of America Forum banner

261 - 280 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
If a SoCal member wanted to join Group D where wouild we joind at the Cal border?
Can't say for sure at this point about groups. Understandably so, not enough this has stayed a very loose non committal event. So dependant on the ever-changing Covid environment so who or how many show up is still no knowable. I personally, barring any unforseen situation, intend to leave Red Ball Garage 4am May 6th. Again for me entering California is a toss up. When I get to Albuquerque NM I will decide if I will keep heading west into California or head to Phoenix Az. first. Depends on how car is running. I would rather the more populated through Phoenix route if the car is laboring or getting less gas mileage then I would like.
Trying to get to Albuquerque in 28 hours. The more ahead of 28 hours I get there the more likely I am to go through Phoenix.

·
Super Moderator
17,613 Posts
Update for me: My May schedule is packed thick with work events. I'm going to try my best to make it, but it's not looking very good.

That said, if any of you are going through Illinois, I'll be happy to join you on your drive through the state!

Also, please take tons of pictures, because I'd love to write a feature about the awesome folks trekking across the country in these cars. :)

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Can't say for sure at this point about groups. Understandably so, not enough this has stayed a very loose non committal event. So dependant on the ever-changing Covid environment so who or how many show up is still no knowable. I personally, barring any unforseen situation, intend to leave Red Ball Garage 4am May 6th. Again for me entering California is a toss up. When I get to Albuquerque NM I will decide if I will keep heading west into California or head to Phoenix Az. first. Depends on how car is running. I would rather the more populated through Phoenix route if the car is laboring or getting less gas mileage then I would like.
Trying to get to Albuquerque in 28 hours. The more ahead of 28 hours I get there the more likely I am to go through Phoenix.
Don't know how many are still going, but i intend to leave illinois to NYC Wednesday the 5th to depart from red ball garage next day at 4pm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Having traveled between St. Louis and SoCal many times (not in a Smart Car) I can say that the climb into Flagstaff can be taxing. If Flagstaff is not on your list of desired destinations I would go south at Holbrook,Az and head for Phoenix.

It would would be great if participants would post progress while getting gas.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes in Albuquerque area l will decide if I continue west to Redondo Beach or south to Phoenix first then west to Redondo Beach.
You might want to check out the rush hour traffic in the Phoenix area. Even the new periphery route can get jammed. There is also traffic to consider heading West on I-10 beginning in Indio and continuing over the Banning pass. Traffic on the freeways in the LA area can be jammed especially during rush hour.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Mainly depends on if the car is struggling with any issues and if I have a shot at the Forty hours or not.. If I have a shot at the Forty hours and the car is not struggling I would keep pushing it west. If I got no shot at the Forty hours I and going to back the pace down any way and save the car and cruise it in the rest of the way. Remember 40 hours put me in Redondo around 830 pm Friday night May 7th a full 15 hours before the meet at the Automotive Driving Museum. So I am driving Hard to Albuquerque and the evaluate pushing the car as well as myself from that point. If I got stuck I would feel better stuck on the Phoenix then West route. Just feel is more populated. Once I know I will put out a feeler for some one local to follow into Redondo.
Looking Forward to the run!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Having traveled between St. Louis and SoCal many times (not in a Smart Car) I can say that the climb into Flagstaff can be taxing. If Flagstaff is not on your list of desired destinations I would go south at Holbrook,Az and head for Phoenix.

It would would be great if participants would post progress while getting gas.
Great Info(y) When I get to St Louis are I intend take drop to i295 to cross the Mississippi river or can the clay st bridge ad 44 work?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am not sure where there is a i295 in the St Louis area, but the 255 would be an OK crossing spot, however if you take the 64 across you will get a great view of the Arch, providing it is daylight. From the 64 cross you could pickup the 44 and drive thru the Ozarks. One thing about MO is they are not good about posting Road Construction warning, until you are upon it.

In ref to the Clay ave bridge, I am not familiar with that area.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I am not sure where there is a i295 in the St Louis area, but the 255 would be an OK crossing spot, however if you take the 64 across you will get a great view of the Arch, providing it is daylight. From the 64 cross you could pickup the 44 and drive thru the Ozarks. One thing about MO is they are not good about posting Road Construction warning, until you are upon it.

In ref to the Clay ave bridge, I am not familiar with that area.
It is 255 it kinda takes you around the city and the pick up 44.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
We visit St. Louis, once a year. The highway system there is a spider web. l-255 will take you to I-44. The hard way. Just don’t blink you eyes. There are better ways to get to I-44.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've been in the arch 4 times 1969 with my dad, 1971 with my mom, 1984 first wife,
1995 with second wife and step daughter.
If you are somewhat claustrophobic the ride up and down in the 5 pass. dryer like drum of an elevator may be stressful.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Hey smark have you been up in the arch?
Thanks for the pic of it.(though I would still like to go and see it.)
Many times. When they first opened it in, 1968. My family was one of the first to go up it. We waited in line for hours. There was only one elevator at that time. That was operating. No museum below. No landscaping The man made structure still amazes me to this day.

The last time was in 2005. Here are some photos, of that visit. They tour down the old baseball stadium, right after that. A must see in your lifetime.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well that’s going on my things to do before I die list.
Wow by looking at those pics it’s a lot bigger then what I imagined it to be(seriously movies always show it from a distance which doesn’t do it justice)
I’m not afraid to be in tight spots.
If I was I would never be able to do some of the networking jobs I’ve had to do at times(really tight spots)

261 - 280 of 450 Posts