Smart Car of America Forum banner

281 - 300 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Well that’s going on my things to do before I die list.
Wow by looking at those pics it’s a lot bigger then what I imagined it to be(seriously movies always show it from a distance which doesn’t do it justice)
I’m not afraid to be in tight spots.
If I was I would never be able to do some of the networking jobs I’ve had to do at times(really tight spots)
When riding up in the washing machine elevator car. It hot inside it. Because of the outside stainless steel skin. There’s no AC, till you get to the top. I will always remember that day. Getting out of the elevator. I drop my expensive Sony camera. It dropped down the outside steps, at the top. I’m lucky I got those photo’s. The camera was working off and on.

i’m not scared of heights at all. It’s 630 feet tall. I have a phobia, ever since I was a kid. Looking up at tall buildings, gives me the heebie-jeebies. I had troubles, looking up at it. Scares the crap out of me, for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
17,613 Posts
Anyone intending to make it in 40 hours better be driving the entire time.

When I bought my 453 in 2016 I decided to cannonball my way from Smart Madness' location in LA to my location in CHI. Google said it was 31 hours, I did it in 36. I only stopped for fuel, food (same time as fuel), cops (pulled over), and for a 1 hour nap.

You won't have time to stop and stare at the sights. When I wasn't stopped, my cruise control was set to 85. That was 85 through mountain passes, too.

Keep in mind that my 453 is like many where you can't get more than like 6 gallons into the tank, so my fuel stops were annoyingly frequent. Given the longer range of a 451, less LA traffic (easily ate an hour or longer) and fewer stops (sleep, cops, eating), I bet 40 hours can be done. I mean, the original 40 hours was done in a van! lol

Reactions: MB DNA

·
Registered
603 Posts
My apologies to all potential Smartballers. I've been in quarantine for the last week with some symptoms, so I'm afraid I won't be able to join in on this adventure. I hope that I can do so in November.

To any who are planning the run, I offer the following - my interpretation/best guess as to the original route taken in May of 1971. There are some gaps, and some guesswork, but the majority of the route seems to be pretty clear. Or at least long sections of it. YMMV, obviously, but have a look, if interested, and safe driving to those of you who venture out!

General Directions of first unofficial Cannonball Run - May 1971
This is not complete, nor is it necessarily accurate. The road system has changed over the past 50 years. Sections of the Interstate system may not have been in existence then, hence the references to roads that parallel now-existing Interstates - notably Rt. 40. It should be sufficent to give one an idea of the general route taken.
From Red Ball Garage to Lincoln Tunnel (495) West to I95 South
I95 South to I78 West
I78 West to Rt 22 West
Rt 22 West to I76 West
I76 West to I70 West in New Staunton
I70 West (parallels Rt 40 which was used originally) through:
Columbus
Dayton
Indianapolis
Terra Haute
Casey, IL (landmark mentioned in first run)
To I44 West in St. Louis through:
Springfield
to I40 West in Oklahoma City through:
Amarillo
Albequerque
(Winslow)
Flagstaff
Needles
South on 95 South to 62 West to I10 West (San Bernadino Freeway)
At some point in greater Los Angeles there is a jump made to I405 West (San Diego Freeway)
I405 West to West 190th Street into Redondo Beach

·
Registered
482 Posts
I took a screenshot of that so I’ll have it for November since I won’t be able to do this run sadly due to financial and not having the smart ready in time.
Hopefully when we do the one in November it won’t be bad weather on any parts of the trip.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I took a screenshot of that so I’ll have it for November since I won’t be able to do this run sadly due to financial and not having the smart ready in time.
Hopefully when we do the one in November it won’t be bad weather on any parts of the trip.
I'll see if I can flesh it out a bit more by then. I was going to try and find out construction dates for the interstates to see what was actually there 50 years ago.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
For CA freeways at least even number run East West and odd numbers run North South.

405 is a N S freeway. Never knew about the 62, but wasn't born back then. Could it possibly be the 60?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
For CA freeways at least even number run East West and odd numbers run North South.

405 is a N S freeway. Never knew about the 62, but wasn't born back then. Could it possibly be the 60?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
62 is a state road running east/west, north of Interstate 10.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ok that way I can do the route as close as possible when I do it.
I may do my smart run after I get all of the kinks worked out of it.(before the November run)

281 - 300 of 450 Posts