Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
So the thinking was to leave from NYC and try to trace the original route(s), keeping in mind that it’s been 50 years, and the roads have changed a bit in that time. If you’re coming from Portland, you’d qualify for a Double Canonball - coast to coast to coast. I guess those of us on the east coast would as well, come to think of it. Unless you can get a Smart into a aircraft cargo hold or a train baggage car. Or maybe a few into a truck container, like in The Italian Job.
[/QUOTE Since i discovered you were organizing a race I started researching for prices and I found out they charge $350 to $450 open-air truck to ship Grasshopper Mouse from home to NY. I think is not expensive, but still have plenty of time to find a better price to ship my smartie all the way down to NY for the 2021 Smartball run. Omg, I'm so excited, it will be fun dangerous at the same time, I love the feeling of adrenaline it gives me just thinking about it!! Anyway I still need a co-pilot.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sounds good! I know it’s kind of a crazy idea, but I’ve actually been thinking about it for years myself. And a 50 year anniversary only comes around once every, well, 50 years! I can see I’m going to have to get some patches and t shirts made up!

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Sounds good! I know it’s kind of a crazy idea, but I’ve actually been thinking about it for years myself. And a 50 year anniversary only comes around once every, well, 50 years! I can see I’m going to have to get some patches and t shirts made up!
Yes you're right, a 50 year anniversary only happens once, that's why I want to do it. I think we all are the chosen ones, I'm glad I purchased my smartie and found this website. I'm almost 45 and its incredibly they ran this run while I wasn't even born yet!! And cool thing about the t-shirts and patches

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes you're right, a 50 year anniversary only happens once, that's why I want to do it. I think we all are the chosen ones, I'm glad I purchased my smartie and found this website. I'm almost 45 and its incredibly they ran this run while I wasn't even born yet!! And cool thing about the t-shirts and patches
So where are you coming from? I forgot to ask earlier.

·
I'll figger this car out
339 Posts
So the thinking was to leave from NYC and try to trace the original route(s), keeping in mind that it’s been 50 years, and the roads have changed a bit in that time. If you’re coming from Portland, you’d qualify for a Double Canonball - coast to coast to coast. I guess those of us on the east coast would as well, come to think of it. Unless you can get a Smart into a aircraft cargo hold or a train baggage car. Or maybe a few into a truck container, like in The Italian Job.
Perhaps an alternative would be to organize and schedule simultaneous regional runs so that everyone can participate. This can end in a series of regional get-togethers/meets and greets, where the US smart community can go from a rag-tag coterie of future-looking auto enthusiasts to a phalanx of transportation gurus... .. wow! I got ahead of myself, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think some regional organizing would be good at least so we know who's around on the way to the start! I'm seriously considering hopping on the bandwagon here, especially since MM has done is 3x, that gives me much more confidence!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Where would you be coming from? I’m in northern Virginia myself. I hope we can impose on some of our NY brothers and sisters to assist with the start, and some in CA for the finish. And perhaps even some along the way.

·
I'll figger this car out
339 Posts
Indiana, good ol crossroads of america heh.
Indiana, good ol crossroads of america heh.
If all goes reasonably well, I hope to buy a farm near the Michigan-Ohio border in which Midwest Smartfests may happen in the near future.
The house and barn are there, but the gazebo for outdoor entertainment will still have to be built. Am also contemplating a small pool in which we can run smart floatability contests!

·
Super Moderator
1,499 Posts
So why not have a "gazebo raising" for your Smart event? :) If I leave NC now for the event, I can be there by early next summer.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 19,000 miles

·
Registered
318 Posts
So why not have a "gazebo raising" for your Smart event? :) If I leave NC now for the event, I can be there by early next summer.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 19,000 miles
Maybe we can take turns towing you cross country. Seems like a few ICE smarts have tow hitches. ;)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts