Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I felt obligated to make a point and make my presence felt in this manner because I feel very strongly about how these interactions went.

It was ME and nobody else who felt uncomfortable and unwelcome, and that feeling just downright sucks. Put yourself in my shoes.

Im not an overall sensitive person. Actually, I have a really great life and plenty of friends, thanks. Just spent 17k on a car. I'm good.

And as a professional I have no problem coming out in public and stating the faults of an another amateur or pro. These types of people bring the level of all public leaders down, make all of our jobs harder, and make us all look bad, and I cannot stand for it.

Its ironic the "good ol boys" tittle rings even truer, when I see all of you come out in defense of actions that you had no part in, and that had no effect on yourselves.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,672 Posts
It was ME...

Actually, I have a really great life and plenty of friends, thanks. Just spent 17k on a car. I'm good.

...ironic the "good ol boys" tittle rings even truer, when I see all of you come out in defense of actions that you had no part in, and that had no effect on yourselves.
Obviously as a member of THE ME GENERATION, it is all about you...

Not sure what reactions you expected from SCoA with your newbie rant? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok I cant go on with this back and forth...I did expect more ridicule, and to be shunned for posting these comments, but I just had to say something.

I shouldn't have said anything...I can see you guys don't want to evolve or grow....good luck ya'll.

I just love this, though (below)...proves how exclusionary this person CHOSE to be.
Each name badge "your so called leader" paid for had a number on the back for the prize drawing. "Your so called leader" went to several shops in Amana earlier this week and asked them to donate items. "Your so called leader" donated a $25 gift card and a rubber floor mat set. It was not a raffle where you must buy a chance to win. It was a prize giveaway and "your so called leader" made the rules. If you want to give away free stuff, you should be able to make the rules. That is why you could not participate in the "raffle."

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
but I just had to say something.
No one forced you to post. You come off worse and worse with everything you think you need to write.

I wasn't at the event but appreciate what the organizer did.

Someone crashing the event and then complaining about it, I have no words for how much I loathe a person who would do that.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I felt obligated to make a point and make my presence felt in this manner because I feel very strongly about how these interactions went.

Let's try a different tact.

Johnny, you are obviously very committed to something. My question is, "What is that something?"

Generally forums are sort of like a party, in the sense that people come together to make a contribution for the good of all. We are a community that revolves around smart cars.

I think many here are scratching their heads and wondering what you are expecting to happen, or what you want to accomplish by your strong introduction?

I am not part of anyone's "clique" here, and have never met any forum members. I haven't even owned a smart since 2009!

With that said, your "shoot first, ask questions later" approach baffles me. You presume to be "right," and find others "wrong." How do you expect that to play out in the future of your forum participation?

Are you looking for an apology? Would you like others to agree with you?

I expect that many here feel badly to see someone with a new smart starting off so conflictive, and with no apparent intention of moderating his tone.

Someone here hosted an event where you – by your own admission – had fun. What would you like to accomplish by roasting that host and insulting/offending others in the process?

With your professional background, can you not find a kinder and more gracious way to let us get to know you?

I'll bet we would all like to turn this thing around, and have a positive outcome. It's just painfully unclear what you're after, and what you expected to happen as a result of your caustic posts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ok I cant go on with this back and forth...I did expect more ridicule, and to be shunned for posting these comments, but I just had to say something.

I shouldn't have said anything...I can see you guys don't want to evolve or grow....good luck ya'll.

I just love this, though (below)...proves how exclusionary this person CHOSE to be.

Not often I'm left speechless.... But really??? That's what you took from his statement? Completely obvious that you have never put on an event with no financial support or corporate sponsorship. I'm glad you've never experienced the hours and $$$ of sacrifice that it takes to put on one of these regional events.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Granted I've only attended OTD events but I've noticed that unregistered drivers are welcomed and it's been mentioned that unregistered drivers don't get the goodies the registered drivers do. There's never been any static over that. Talk to an overwhelmed event host while he's trying to coordinate the event he started and is running? Give him a card with your name and number on it Mr. Professional and ask him to set a time when he can talk to you when things aren't so hectic for him. If you're such a professional you'd realize trying to talk to him during the event wasn't a good idea and would have waited. I bet you have staff to help at your events that can handle some of the load. Give this guy a break!

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Johnny,i

Having attended many smart rally's and events organized by volunteers who often do the anning on there own I can say that none are perfect. But I give them applause for having the guts to put together an event like the Midwest Rally. I'm sure there are many snafu's and surprises that we never hear of because they want us to have fun. When someone shows up unannounced and not planned for if it was me I would have been thrown for a loop trying to figure out how to explain that I only have gift bags for those preregistered. It sounds like he took registrations until Midnight the night before. HELLO, as an event organizer you know how import regisration is to the event. Many non-smart events I've been too if you didn't register by a preset deadline you could not even attend. The organizer let you participate and invited you to the dinner if you paid the $20.00 just like the rest of us did.

Just some things for you to think about.

1. Yes he could have had a few extra bags and Dawn could have made extra sticker but this was Arts first time hosting an event, so he is still learning. I hope your tirade doesn't scare him off. I consider it rude to kick a volunteer host in the b*#£s the way you did. BTW, I'd never met him before Friday at 5 when we arrived late. His helper at registration was also a volunteer. One of the sweetest ladies I know.

2. Next time he should collect a registration fee to help pay for the cost of the event.

3. You talk about rude - did you stay at the picnic until the concert ended at 3:00 pm or did you leave early like so many others did? That's what I consider rude. Not that a busy Host may not have had time to visit with you at the picnic. One that was concerned the rain would cause damage to the bands belongings and instrument. I know that because I helped him move the table twice.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen. I'd like to address a couple of points.

54 cars showed up for an event in IOWA put on by one man. Almost 100 guests came with those 54 cars, and ONE person was left feeling unsatisfied.

Yes, the goal is always that everyone have a good time, but we are(mostly) all adults here and realize that just ain't gonna always be the case. So we had a 99% satisfaction rate. Good enough for me.

You wanna call it a good ole boy thing? Nope. I've never met a member of this forum face to face until Friday. I'm also one of the younger members. And I'm not driving your fancy car that you spent 17 grand on. I'm driving a five year old car that I bought used. So it isn't your age, your car, or you being a new face.

You didn't get handed free crap. This isn't grade school. Adults are not always given stuff just for showing up. You missed the registration, so you didn't get a t shirt. Suck it up. I planned a convoy and I missed it. So I drove my ass to Iowa, got out of the car and had a good laugh because I missed the convoy that I started in the first place.

There is no room here for someone that refuses to have fun. Sorry you didn't get a shirt. You're welcome to have mine if you'd like to come get it. Hell, I'll pull the sticker off the car and give you that, too. You've made your entrance and your point.

You might as well make your exit, because you damn sure aren't making any friends.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
You are all missing the point.

If you took the time to actually read what I stated, you would understand that it was the manner in which I was spoken to and treated that really upset me and caused me to stir the pot here.

I don't care about cheap free stuff, that's not the issue.

I'll have you know I run all of my events as the sole leader without staff. Maybe a volunteer helper or 2. With minimal sponsors. I go door to door seeking support as well. Have done it all. I work with small non profit organizations. I know I at least treat everyone with respect and give my time to anyone that engages me even if momentarily.

With less than 100 people involved, and not having to feed or care for any of the participants? come on! Setting up the event and running it didn't take much energy.

I commend this person for donating his time, but all he had to do was be nice, be friendly, and be a decent human being toward me, and this would've been avoided.

Hopefully the lesson is learned. If you're busy, just be nice about it and say that. If you don't have promos for extra people, just be NICE and explain that...I don't get it. This is remedial.

Not looking for anything. I don't need an apology. I'm happy.

Yeah, I am totally done here, though.
You lost a talented guy who is actually pretty cool, interesting, and has a lot to offer...Bummer for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great weekend

just got home and we are still buzzing about the great time we had!!!! Great food, great cruise so much fun talking SMART with everyone. We have a 2009 Pure and felt just and much part of the group. Thank you all for the great weekend and thank you so much Art for all the hard work !!!!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
You are all missing the point.

If you took the time to actually read what I stated, you would understand that it was the manner in which I was spoken to and treated that really upset me and caused me to stir the pot here.

I don't care about cheap free stuff, that's not the issue.

I'll have you know I run all of my events as the sole leader without staff. Maybe a volunteer helper or 2. With minimal sponsors. I go door to door seeking support as well. Have done it all. I work with small non profit organizations. I know I at least treat everyone with respect and give my time to anyone that engages me even if momentarily.

With less than 100 people involved, and not having to feed or care for any of the participants? come on! Setting up the event and running it didn't take much energy.

I commend this person for donating his time, but all he had to do was be nice, be friendly, and be a decent human being toward me, and this would've been avoided.

Hopefully the lesson is learned. If you're busy, just be nice about it and say that. If you don't have promos for extra people, just be NICE and explain that...I don't get it. This is remedial.

Not looking for anything. I don't need an apology. I'm happy.

Yeah, I am totally done here, though.
You lost a talented guy who is actually pretty cool, interesting, and has a lot to offer...Bummer for you.
Kind of funny where All of us are missing the point at the same time? And yet you didn't 'get' anyone else's point(s)? Yeah, we're pretty much a bunch of idiots.

A wise man said "He that takes offense when offense wasn't intended is a fool; and he that takes offense when offense WAS intended is also a fool!:|

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Seriously? So its ok to be rude to people? People who you invite informally to an event? You guys don't see my point? wow. LOL.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Seriously? So its ok to be rude to people? People who you invite informally to an event? You guys don't see my point? wow. LOL.

How are you liking your BoConcept so far? Coupe or convertible? I've been very tempted by them also – the interior is extremely nice. What did you drive before the smart?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi smartjohnny, I want to try one more time to extend an olive branch to you. I am here to make friends, not enemies.

I am not a wordsmith and my response to your initial post could have been expressed in a better way.

I am not perfect and as an "amateur," I made some mistakes organizing this event.

I am not a wealthy person, I just like doing things for others. I do not look down on anyone, nor do I put myself above anyone.

I have openly and sincerely apologized to you on this thread. What more do I have to do for you to accept that apology?

I am deeply disturbed by all the negative things you have said about me. Maybe you could stop digging, try on my shoes, and practice what you preach.

I at least treat everyone with respect and give my time to anyone that engages me even if momentarily.

be nice, be friendly, and be a decent human being toward me

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Some of us have been in your place and in the organizer's place. I am a member of several car clubs and have experienced what you felt. I have been an organizer of car events and experienced how Art was feeling. I can say that an organizer can feel rather hectic at the onset of the event (as an organizer usually doesn't get much sleep the night before.) He was probably worried about getting everything off to a good start, and was caught off guard with an unregistered guest. Forgive him if he didn't meet your expectations and make the best of the remainder of the meet and greet. Remember that you didn't meet his expectations of registering ahead of time and I didn't hear him complaining about that. He offered to take your money for the dinner and you refused which is a shame because that is precisely how you brake into an "ole boys and girls club." To be in a club you have to show up but you chose not to show up for a great dinner. This group really was not "clique like." Shoot, we had a circle of lawn chairs on the motel parking lot that was bigger than most crop circles that can be seen from space. And one citronella candle handled the bugs quite well! We would gladly make room for you and your lawn chair in that circle at another event.
Your car was appreciated and was one that I looked over a lot as I felt the interior was spectacular. (The exterior was just a "bland white and yellow paint scheme.)" I can say that as mine has the same colors :D .
I have felt as you felt at a car event (not at a smart car event) and experienced what I felt was a very clique like environment. I tried to make the best of it and went back to the same event two years later, got the same feeling, and I won't be back to that event but will still try other events for that make of vehicle.
Please don't back yourself into a corner that you can't get out of as this is really a quite nice group that enjoys meeting up with others that enjoy an inexpensive car that can be driven and enjoyed whether stock or modified a bunch. Forgiveness goes both ways and I hope that it will apply to this situation.
Mick

ps Jan and I had to rent a car at the airport to drive home as our "Bee" enjoyed the Amana Colonies so much it decided to stay in Amana.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
The problem Johnny is that you are not coming off as a "You lost a talented guy who is actually pretty cool, interesting, and has a lot to offer.."

and guess what it sounds like you expect everyone here to be apologizing and begging you to come back.

Yes,when you attack someone who worked hard setting up this event we are all going to stand up and defend. In that way we are all united here on the forum. We are a family and instead of becoming part of the family you choose to attack a member of it.

An event of even 100 people in a town you don't live in does take effort and time. Saying it doesn't demeans the host/planner and everyone who attended. I've planned and lead a couple different events and it takes lots of work and yes sometimes you ended up responding sharper than you intended. Hey he did apologize in his post then tried to explain to you why things happened the way they did. So you attacked him a second time.

You bet your boots that we are going to defend him!

It's your choice whether you stick around and find out how much fun we can be and welcoming to new members or leave a bitter ex-forum member. Didn't you say that you had fun and enjoyed the event?? So why complain and attack everyone that attended which you did with you "good old boys" statement.

Yes, I am offended by your attitude.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.