Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Looks like your engine is breaking in nicely...and that you can lenghten your OCIs. Since you're using a high-quality synthetic oil, why aren't you adhering to the factory-recommended 10k mile OCI?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like your engine is breaking in nicely...and that you can lenghten your OCIs. Since you're using a high-quality synthetic oil, why aren't you adhering to the factory-recommended 10k mile OCI?
I beat the living hell out of my engine (probably the most for a N/A smart) and I also drive 95% in rigorous stop-and-go traffic. Since I drive around 5k a year, I would rather change the oil at the 5k mark than wait over a year for the oil (and the filter) to get to the 10k point. The highest quality synthetic oil (not starting an oil war) and the best oil filter for my uses (again, not starting an oil filter war) is cheap insurance to me.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I beat the living hell out of my engine (probably the most for a N/A smart) and I also drive 95% in rigorous stop-and-go traffic. Since I drive around 5k a year, I would rather change the oil at the 5k mark than wait over a year for the oil (and the filter) to get to the 10k point. The highest quality synthetic oil (not starting an oil war) and the best oil filter for my uses (again, not starting an oil filter war) is cheap insurance to me.
You had me at 95% stop-and-go and only 5k miles a year :) I'm just glad that you have a legitimate reason for shorter OCIs and that you're not doing it because of some conspiracy theory...as seems is all too common among European car owners.

·
17,344 Posts
Not bad considering what you put that little car through!
At 12.5k I'm going to pass you in mileage within another 7 months or so. :eek:

In my periodic checks of the dipstick, the oil doesn't even get brown-ish until right before it's time for to get the oil changed anyway, so I'll stick to factory OCIs :)

P.S. I'm eagerly waiting for your next mod.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm eagerly waiting for your next mod.
I think I'm done with mods for now. There's nothing else that good on the market for me. SOLO Performance isn't coming out with their header/cat combo because they do not believe there is a market for it (even though I would be first on their list to purchase it). Any other modification would be maintenance work (rear drum rebuild for example).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts