Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question.... Have a Siemens Level2 charger (which BTW has been great), but about 2 months ago the SmartED started
taking MUCH longer to charge. Took it to our local dealer (RBM Alpharetta), and they said the onboard charger needed
to be replaced. Said they ordered one from Germany and replaced it.

Now.. they said they replaced it (although the documentation does not show the normal, what I'm used to seeing, parts
listed, prices, time, covered under warranty...etc), but never-the-less they said replaced. More of a few written paragraphs.

It seems to still be taking much longer to the tune of about 1.5hrs per 10%. My wife is the primary driver but, she is 100%
sure its taking longer still to charge. The question for the community is, for anyone with a Level2 supply, what are you
seeing? Any inputs would be great, especially some where the readings are 70% and down to 30%.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
1.5 hours per 10% is far too slow. You might want to check your user settings in the instrument cluster to see if the car is limiting its charge rate to 8A. Change it to "MAX." If it already shows MAX, is your charger defaulting to a slower charge rate? Some of them need to also be switched to MAX or something equivalent as well.

If both the car and charger are at MAX rates, I'd revisit that onboard charger again. I'm assuming the same Siemens charger previously was charging at a significantly faster speed prior to the smart's onboard charger being replaced, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked and the dash is still set to MAX. (And the L2 supply has a manual option to change output amps, I believe up to the 50AMP value and has
not been altered). I will continue to verify with timings but honestly am very suspicious that the dealer was waiting on the onboard unit to arrive then
mysteriously it came in and was changed. (I am more thinking they ran tests of some sort and never did the unit change...but could be very wrong).
Never the less will continue on, take readings, and this will be visit#3 next week where I will also be asking to see the documentation for the
parts changed, labor to do that.... again the things you always see when taking a car in)

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,764 Posts
Never the less will continue on, take readings, and this will be visit#3 next week where I will also be asking to see the documentation for the parts changed, labor to do that.... again the things you always see when taking a car in)
With those very valid suspicions, ask that the smart Center share the parts/labor details as filed against the warranty TODAY!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting enough....went into the Charging panel in the car..... the arrow was pointing to MAX. I did though
hit the button on the stalk while still showing MAX...then BACK to the main screens. Then down at 43% it
was charged at no time at all.

I will add that they did AC work just prior to this, and once we got the car back we suspected possibly something
happened during that visit. Never have touched the Charging display item. The book also says MAX is the
default (which made it stranger). Never the less it seems just like new again. (Would like to have done it slower
to see if it was down at the 8amp setting or something). Did not make sense.

I do think though that the dealers should, especially with a total battery system disconnect, pull your current
settings for items like this...... reset the clock..... validate your radio settings and such. (its the little things)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts