Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess most have heard of the snow storm and ensuing traffic fiasco down here in Atlanta. If not, you are most assuredly living under a rock. It hasn't been fun!

My wife left downtown at the height of the storm in her '11 smartie. She had no big problems besides the slow and steady creep until she hit a long hill topped by a bridge that was frozen. Traffic was stopped due to people in their big F-150's with their big F-150 attitudes that say faster is better who had caused traffic to stop due to their fishtailing all over the road. She called all worried that the car wouldn't make it. I told her that she was in the "perfect" car. Let it do its thing and if the traction / stability control light came on don't stop. That means it's working. She finally waited for a break, pulled out, and zipped right past everybody up the hill.

She had one more hill that had a stop sign halfway up. She had to go through the same routine with the idiotic drivers. When they took a break, she pulled out of line and drove past the cars. A guy stopped her and asked if she needed help. She said, "Nope...I'm in the perfect car!" and drove right by everybody.

My honey learns fast and has a whole new appreciation for her car!

·
17,350 Posts
It's amusing to think that what us Midwesterners, Canadians, and Easterners deal with almost daily in the Winter can cause an entire region to shutdown and look like a scene from the Walking Dead. :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
It's amusing to think that what us Midwesterners, Canadians, and Easterners deal with almost daily in the Winter can cause an entire region to shutdown and look like a scene from the Walking Dead. :)
+1 and AMEN to that!!!

What would they do down there if they got a real snow storm? We've had 20+ inches here this month. Outside of 3 days the county shut down the road for snow emergencies, I've been out in it every day in my smart going to work...:D

Oh, and the last 3 days it's been -10 or colder in the morning, and the smart has started first try every time!:D

·
17,350 Posts
I'm actually impressed with the smart battery. Thing started up after a second or so of starting in -10 to -20 degree weather. Like it's not even breaking a sweat.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The smart driving around all the cars doesn't surprise me at all. I remember quite a few similar situations during some Winter storms out in the mountains of Los Angeles, Ventura, Kern, and San Bernardino counties...

The light weight (or heavy weight on drive wheels) + Mercedes' ESP combines for good ability considering the lack of AWD.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Neon said
As you're well aware, we don't have the resources you do (plows, salt, etc.), snow tires, nor the driving experience that you snow birds have. Of course, we're not in deep freeze for 30% of the year either. In a few days we'll be around 60°F.

We're not used to ice as much as y'all are. But, you should see the reaction of vacationing snow birds when a hurricane looks our way.

EDIT not working right. Just threw up a blank window, hey mods.

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm not surprised by the smarts capability either. In my single (previous) experience with snow/ice in Feb 2010 on a trip to Atlanta, my smart handled the slippery roads brilliantly.

·
Registered
511 Posts
LOl...the eternal north vs. south weather argument. The reason we southerners don't do well in icy/snowy/sleety weather is that we don't have much of it on a yearly basis. Around here just today with our bad weather a town in NC-Greenville (East Carolina University) had just 3 snowplows.
"Those dummies! What were they thinking? It's winter!"
Well, Greenville gets squat for snow/ice/sleet most years. Should they invest in 35+ snowplows? A waste of taxpayers money.
Sometimes it gets unseasonably hot in the north. So, should every house and car have central air and all cars an icebox air conditioning? (I know most cars have it standard, but how often do you use what you paid good money for? Even if "standard" you paid extra for it.).
Neither northerners or southerners know how to live in rural desert AZ. or Nevada.
Do they say:
Lookit those dummies rolling up their windows in the summer after they park and then walking away". In a few mins or hours .....KA-Boom go the windows-even with the relief holes on most cars. Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Georgia governor and Atlanta Mayor ignored warnings from weather service. Some times u take a chance and you are wrong.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Georgia governor and Atlanta Mayor ignored warnings from weather service. Some times u take a chance and you are wrong.
That's true.

But, it's also true that the NWS underestimated the severity of the storm.

Forecasting the future is difficult.

·
Registered
462 Posts
That's true.

But, it's also true that the NWS underestimated the severity of the storm.

Forecasting the future is difficult.
Doesn't look that way when reading the weather advisories 24 hours before the storm actually hit Atlanta metro :]

There was 12 hours advanced warning of "EMERGENCY TRAVEL ONLY" in a NWS bulletin!

I'm not saying that southern cities should be as prepared as northern cities for snow and stuff, but the officials really dropped the ball on this one here. I used to live in the south and we didn't have much snowfighting equipment whatsoever (as someone pointed out, no point in wasting taxpayer dollars there), but when there were major snow/ice events stuff would be cancelled before anything nasty hit.

Anyways, my smart is indeed fun in the winter time :D I've been honored by a ton of bad road conditions this year to test it out.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I'm doing what was recommended by or local news stations work is cancelled today & tomorrow and I haven't left the house. Let the road department do their thing and I'll go back to work Friday. I'm originally from NJ but I'll let those here in VA that think they know how to drive in it and fail miserably at it hit someone else's car. My cats love the snuggle time anyway.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
The temperature must've crept a little above freezing (at least on the roof) today. When I got home from work I found icicles as much as 6" long from the eves. The air temperature didn't get up to freezing all day, so what melted from the roof re-froze on dripping.

The ice on the car didn't melt through the day. I have icicles hanging all over my car, kinda cool.

Yankees, go ahead and chuckle. But, it's a rare sight here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm from NJ as well and can drive pretty good on snow/ice covered roads, but Atlanta is something like I've never seen before when it comes to snow and ice and I calmly stayed my behind in the house other than having to go out and get my son from school. I'm in West Georgia where the storm started from according to the news and I was back in as quick as I went out and was driving past all the people stuck in there Jeeps and ton of F-150's sliding all over the roads and into ditches. Funny thing is, they were all staring at me driving 30-40 mph past them doing 10-15 mph like I was gonna get stuck.....................NOT!!! Peanut got me and my son back home safe and has now been tucked away in the garage for the past two days.

·
17,350 Posts
Neon said

As you're well aware, we don't have the resources you do (plows, salt, etc.), snow tires, nor the driving experience that you snow birds have. Of course, we're not in deep freeze for 30% of the year either. In a few days we'll be around 60°F.

We're not used to ice as much as y'all are. But, you should see the reaction of vacationing snow birds when a hurricane looks our way.

EDIT not working right. Just threw up a blank window, hey mods.

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm not surprised by the smarts capability either. In my single (previous) experience with snow/ice in Feb 2010 on a trip to Atlanta, my smart handled the slippery roads brilliantly.
Yeah...we sure do run when anything resembles a Tropical Storm approaches. And we run...FAST! :D

Shah, I'd be the crazy person standing on the beach, camera in hand!

The funny thing about Chicago though, is that we're OVER prepared for snow, yet not well enough managed to tackle it.

We have tons and tons of salt, and more trucks than probably the entire South combined. But when it comes down to actual snow removal, we're an epic fail.

They bring out the whole fleet for flurries, but when there's any actual accumulation in the forecast, they sit idle until there's enough snow on the pavement to drive a snowmobile to work.

Then the deployment of salt is absolutely astonishing. The salt spreaders run from the second the trucks start to the second they shut down. When they sit at lights, the spreaders just continue to spin, dumping a mound of salt in one single place. When all is said and done, there is so much salt that the pavement turns pale white and any car older than 9 years old almost instantly dissolves.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I love severe weather. It's natures way of showing us what arrogant simpletons we humans are! :) Reality checks.

Get ready there is plenty more coming for all of us. In one form or the other.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The temperature must've crept a little above freezing (at least on the roof) today. When I got home from work I found icicles as much as 6" long from the eves. The air temperature didn't get up to freezing all day, so what melted from the roof re-froze on dripping.........................
That happened because you lack sufficient insulation in your attic or roof. The heat from inside your house is escaping, causing the snow and ice on the roof to melt and then re-freeze as it hits the eaves, which are without insulation.
So, you should consider adding more insulation to your attic and prevent loss of heat through the ceilings and roof. It will reduce your heating costs over time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
NCC1701:
I know you are in the panhandle but when it gets unseasonably cold do the Iguana's really fall out of the trees?

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
That happened because you lack sufficient insulation in your attic or roof. The heat from inside your house is escaping, causing the snow and ice on the roof to melt and then re-freeze as it hits the eaves, which are without insulation.
So, you should consider adding more insulation to your attic and prevent loss of heat through the ceilings and roof. It will reduce your heating costs over time.
That would be true for most houses, I'm sure you're right. However, my case is a bit different. I am actually only using heat in my bedroom. That doesn't change the fact that the darkly covered roof will get warmer than the surrounding air in sunlight.

Yeah, when you hoover around, just below, the freezing point ... where a few degrees makes the difference between ice and liquid water, strange things happen.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
NCC1701:
I know you are in the panhandle but when it gets unseasonably cold do the Iguana's really fall out of the trees?
I don't think iguanas have established themselves this far north. I heard that does happen in south Florida though. Pitty the parrots down there too.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
+1 and AMEN to that!!!

What would they do down there if they got a real snow storm? We've had 20+ inches here this month. Outside of 3 days the county shut down the road for snow emergencies, I've been out in it every day in my smart going to work...:D

Oh, and the last 3 days it's been -10 or colder in the morning, and the smart has started first try every time!:D
LOl...the eternal north vs. south weather argument. The reason we southerners don't do well in icy/snowy/sleety weather is that we don't have much of it on a yearly basis. Around here just today with our bad weather a town in NC-Greenville (East Carolina University) had just 3 snowplows.
"Those dummies! What were they thinking? It's winter!"
Well, Greenville gets squat for snow/ice/sleet most years. Should they invest in 35+ snowplows? A waste of taxpayers money.
Sometimes it gets unseasonably hot in the north. So, should every house and car have central air and all cars an icebox air conditioning? (I know most cars have it standard, but how often do you use what you paid good money for? Even if "standard" you paid extra for it.).
Neither northerners or southerners know how to live in rural desert AZ. or Nevada.
Do they say:
Lookit those dummies rolling up their windows in the summer after they park and then walking away". In a few mins or hours .....KA-Boom go the windows-even with the relief holes on most cars. Just sayin.
Having live in the north, south, and mountain west, I can say that the southern storms are decidedly different. Snow (what's that?) is really not that difficult to drive in (unless you are from Seattle evidently); however, in the south you get these ice storms that lay a 1/2 to 1 inch of pure black ice on the road. It would be silly to run studs in your tires this far south, so there is no driving on that stuff -- traction-control or not. When it gets that bad, it is frankly better to stay off the roads -- it's usually gone in a day or two.

I don't think iguanas have established themselves this far north. I heard that does happen in south Florida though. Pitty the parrots down there too.
we got geckos as far north as Fort Worth!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts