Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smarties in the Smokies (formally OutSmarting the Dragon)

Hello Smarties!

Barbara and I have been working to try to make this year’s rally as good as last year but cheaper. Thursday’s dinner will not be catered but in fact we have a restaurant reserved for a private Smartie only dinner. Friday’s dinner will be at Dolly’s Stampede and should be another fun evening and perhaps I won’t be volunteered to be on stage! Saturday we again have a private room for dinner with a 4 meat buffet.
Here is a proposed/tentative agenda, still working some small details before we can release the registration and final cost.

Proposed Agenda

Wednesday (Pre-Rally) August 15th
8:30 am
Meet at the Townsend Gateway Inn for the drive to Dollywood
9:30 am -5 pm
Dollywood
5:30 pm
(Optional)Meet at Hot Rods(TBD) inside Dollywood for Dinner
8 pm
Hanging out at the Inn / Gazebo

Thursday August 16th
8 am
Leave Inn for a Dragon Run that ends at SMART Knoxville (Optional)
8 am
Leave for a Cades Cove Run that will end at SMART Knoxville (Optional)
10:00 am
Leave Inn for SMART Knoxville if not on a run
12 pm
Lunch at SMART Knoxville
3:30 – 5 pm
Registration at the Gazebo
5:30
Meet for the drive to Dinner
6 pm - 8 pm
Dinner at the Elvira’s
8:30 – 10 pm
Socializing / Games at the Gazebo

Friday August 17th
8 – 9am
Registration at the Gazebo / Conference Room
9 am Photo Scavenger Hunt Begins
9 am Day Runs
• Mick’s Road Rally

Lunch on your own or with the Road Rally group
3 – 4:00 pm
Registration at the Gazebo / Conference Room
Socializing / Games at the Gazebo
4:00 pm-? Dinner Run
• Dolly’s Stampede
• Dinner on your own
7 pm - ???
Socializing / Games at the Gazebo / Conference Room

Saturday August 18th
9 am GROUP PICTURE
(Meet at the Gazebo)
10 am Mick’s Car Show
11 am Day Runs
• Dragon
• Roaring Fork Motor Trail Run
• Pigeon Forge / Dollywood
• Gatlinburg
• Clingmans Dome
• Cherokee, NC
• Maggie Valley, NC

Lunch on your own or with a day run group

4 pm
Photo Scavenger Hunt ends
(No Entries accepted after 4)
5:45 pm
Leave the Inn for the Banquet / Dinner at the Carriage House
10 pm - ???
Socializing at the Gazebo

Sunday
8 am
Breakfast Run and Goodbye

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Elaine & I will be there but our granddaughter and daughter won't be able to make it, it's the same weekend as college move in. Originally Emili was going to wait until next spring but she's eligible to start this fall, so....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please tell those two that they need to examine their priorities!

Ok, don't do that just tell them they will be missed.

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Registration is open and the form is loaded here. Down load and return it to me by PM, email ([email protected]) or by facebook.... we will send you and invoice and payment options.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Joe

Attachments

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Hey y'all,

This is a reminder for those of you that don't do Facebook.
Time is rolling on quickly! It won't be long now. This will be an awesome event. Lots of great activities planned and plenty of options available. Don't miss it!

If you haven't seen it, here is an excerpt from the Joe's email:
"To all, the first deadline is fast approaching, if you want a T Shirt, you need to register soon. If you want to go to the special events, you need to register soon. We are still short the minimum number for a couple of the special prices / events that we scheduled."

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Smarties, The deadline for T-Shirts has past but we are still taking registration for the Rally! Room's are going quick at the Inn, so if you are planning on coming register soon!

Joe

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
Don't miss out on Smarties in the Smokey's. Joe has planned a great event and the Smokies are the perfect place for a smart rally. Scenery, shopping, plenty of fun curving roads, Tail of the Dragon is not that far away, food and entertainment. Plus a group of fun smart owners. Of course any time you get a group of smart owners together there is going to be fun, laughter and mayhem.

Think it's too far for you - Well Think Again, Jim and I will be driving just shy of 1000 miles each way to attend this event.

REGISTER NOW AND COME HAVE SOME FUN WITH US. Registration link is above.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
It was awesome. I believe those who attended had a great time. There was very little interest on SCOA, so I guess it's only natural that there haven't been any post-event comments on here. That's too bad, because the organizers did a fabulous job, and the venue was very nice too.

Smarties in the Smokies is a different event from the former Outsmarting the Dragon events. Same general part of the world, but that's where the similarity ends.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Yes, that would be a correct assumption.

Participation has been declining and the general thought was that a one year hiatus would be a good thing. Many of us have attended every year since 2009, and perhaps people were a little less enthusiastic about this being an annual event.

Watch for it in the summer of 2020!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, that would be a correct assumption.

Participation has been declining and the general thought was that a one year hiatus would be a good thing. Many of us have attended every year since 2009, and perhaps people were a little less enthusiastic about this being an annual event.

Watch for it in the summer of 2020!
jsenka, from the information in your sidebar, I assume you are a snowbird and spend part of the year in Clearwater, Florida. My wife and I live in Bradenton and we own a 2016 Smart Edition#1. We would be very interested in participating in another Smarties in the Smokies if it is arranged for next year(2020). Please be sure to post any information in that regard here in the future. Thanks a lot. Don and Nancy.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
jsenka, from the information in your sidebar, I assume you are a snowbird and spend part of the year in Clearwater, Florida. My wife and I live in Bradenton and we own a 2016 Smart Edition#1. We would be very interested in participating in another Smarties in the Smokies if it is arranged for next year(2020). Please be sure to post any information in that regard here in the future. Thanks a lot. Don and Nancy.

Nope, not a snowbird. Been a Florida resident since 1974. I work in Michigan and commute. 2 - 3 weeks away and about 10 days at home.
If you do Facebook, there is a Facebook group "Smarties in the Smokies". that's where the lion's share of information will be posted.
Take care!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts