Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting a misfire in late summer 2020 I installed the well reviewed SmartMadness red coils. A year later I developed another misfire on cylinder 1, swapped in an old coil and later tried the suspect coil in cylinder 2 where it worked fine. Currently (Jan 2022) cylinder 2 began misfiring and swapping in an old coil again cured the problem. The red coils have less than 7000 miles since installed.

I've contacted SmartMadness. How are they about warranty on their products?

2008 USA 451

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Very Good.
Unfortunately I had the same problem that you're having.
Once contacting smart Madness they replaced my coil quickly.
Bear in mind, I have the orignal red MaxFire coils with lifetime warranty
Good Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, a fast response. They provide a lifetime guaranty but want $15 to ship it.

We need to start tracking failures and mileage to see if we can determine a mean time between failures. Then we could work out whether they are really a bargain if you have to include $15 at intervals plus the cost of troubleshooting and replacement labor. These may turn out to be more expensive than their initial price would suggest.

·
Super Moderator
17,777 Posts
Based on my (admittedly flawed) memory and experience on the various Facebook forums, it seems they give out between 1-2 years. Their lifespan seems to be way shorter than OEM ones.

·
Vendor
3,688 Posts
Based on my (admittedly flawed) memory and experience on the various Facebook forums, it seems they give out between 1-2 years. Their lifespan seems to be way shorter than OEM ones.
Our MAXFire Coils come with a lifetime warranty. If there is ever an issue simply contact us and we will promptly take care of it (as you can see). Judging failure percentages based on a facebook or forum post is not very accurate. We have installed and also shipped thousands of coils all over the world and continue to do so. If there is ever an issue we do not even ask for owners to ship their defective coil back for evaluation (like most). All we simply do is ask them to cover a small shipping fee which covers shipping costs and promptly ship them out a replacement.

At times the coil goes bad, but many times other things will the vehicle can cause a misfire as most of you know. We have received back coils that were reported as bad only to find they are fine and work as they should. At times we have also had some come back that were faulty. The numbers are very low and we will promptly replace any of them if needed under warranty as we have been.

As an FYI per our knowledge smart OEM coils do not come with a lifetime warranty as someone stated. The MAXFire ones we offer do offer a lifetime warranty and as you see we stand behind it.

As always if anyone has an issue, question or concern give us a buzz and we will do our best to assist. TX (512) 982-9393 or CA (562)981-6800

Thank you as always for your continued support.

·
Super Moderator
17,777 Posts
As an FYI per our knowledge smart OEM coils do not come with a lifetime warranty as someone stated. The MAXFire ones we offer do offer a lifetime warranty and as you see we stand behind it.
You know, that is actually really fair. Anecdotes aren't data and I shouldn't have fallen into that trap.

Likewise, you are right that your coils have a lifetime warranty. Meanwhile, some of us are lucky if a dealership hasn't completely closed its doors on us. I take back my statement. Thank you for keeping Smarts alive, even long after Smart itself has packed up. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of the ones in my original set started giving misfires, then another in the replacement set. I'm blaming my engine more than anything due to a slight leak on the valve cover I found after the second set. I currently have the SILA concepts coils installed for about 6 months now so lets see how long that lasts.

·
Vendor
3,688 Posts
One of the ones in my original set started giving misfires, then another in the replacement set. I'm blaming my engine more than anything due to a slight leak on the valve cover I found after the second set. I currently have the SILA concepts coils installed for about 6 months now so lets see how long that lasts.
Hello Gaseosx,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please keep me posted on your coils.
If you have one that is bad I would need to get you in touch with Edward in our Texas Location on getting you a replacement.

A PM with you order info, and I will bring that to his desk so he can get you all the details.

In regards to the leaky valve cover, please give Art a buzz in our California shop. (562) 981-6800 ext: 108 or [email protected] He is a wealth of knowledge on these engines and may be able to help you get the leak fixed.

Thank you again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts