Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Take an extra day at the end of the Nationals and join us in setting the record for the most smarts at the top of Pikes Peak:

Sunday, July 14, 2013 @ 11:00 AM (Leave the Westin Westminster hotel at 9:00 a.m. for the drive down to Pikes Peak.)

Meet at the entrance to Pikes Peak Highway, 5069 Pikes Peak Highway, Cascade, CO

How many smarts can we get to the top? Join in and help us set a record! :)

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Would love to do this but, will have to pass... Rode the Cog Train to the top once and became one sick puppy from lack of oxygen...Took the rest of the day to recover...:(

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Would love to do this but, will have to pass... Rode the Cog Train to the top once and became one sick puppy from lack of oxygen...Took the rest of the day to recover...:(
Did you get altitude sickness. That happen to me a couple years ago at Estes Park, camping. Thought I was going to die. Not nice being sick, at a camp ground.:eek:

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
If I can manage to make it to the Nationals you won't be able to keep me away from Pikes Peak. I drove my four month old 1995 Dodge Neon to the summit on July 31, 1994 and look forward to doing the same in my smart. Doing it with a gaggle of other smarts would make it an even better experience.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Did you get altitude sickness. That happen to me a couple years ago at Estes Park, camping. Thought I was going to die. Not nice being sick, at a camp ground.:eek:

Yes indeed, thought my head was going to explode like Meme's did on the Drew Carry show once... :D

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
We learned long ago to spend 1 day at lower altitude and then to take an aspirin before heading to the mountains. forgot my own advice last summer and up sick at the top of Mt Evans.

I doubt we'll have time to stay and go up Pikes Peak.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My fuel injected '76 Saab got low oxygen sickness as I neared the top of the mountain in Estes Park. Just plain quit. Drifted back down a couple hundred feet and it restarted. Glad the pop up trailer was back in the camp ground!

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
...we will see what a hair dryer does to a smart at that altitude...

jetfuel...high altitude pills by the dozen...

·
Registered
755 Posts
So it's been a LONG time since I've been on this forum... This date seems far enough for me to plan.. I wont drive my smart car out there though.. Imma tow it there on my flat bed trailer with my brand new 2013 Porsche cayenne twin turbo ;)... then drive the smart up.. ha ha.. So count me in!

Larry

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Litto, your coming for full Nationals I hope. That would be a long drive just to go up Pikes Peak. :p At least drive up Mt. Evans as well seeing as how it's even higher by 126 ft.

Your little smart will be able to say that he's climbed two "Fourteeners" in Colorado.

I just found a good reason for us to make it to the Pikes Peak drive.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
always wanted to do this!

Great idea! Count me in too. I've always wanted to drive up Pikes Peak! Even more I want to get a picture of however many smarts are up there.:D

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I remember driving back to see my parents in Colorado Springs one year. Stopped at a gas station in Vail at 3:30am to use the lights at the pump island. Changed out all 4 jets, 145 mains/175 airs, in my 44 IDF webbers in my Karmann Ghia for 120 mains/200 airs. The attendant came over to watch. Took about 6 minutes altogether. Only could pull 2nd gear before, could use 4th after.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Jan and I will attempt the climb in the KillerBee. The last time I tried Pike's Peak I was totally discombobulated for the last 1000 feet of the drive and was miserable on top. When we got back down a thousand feet I was OK. We had flown in 5pm the night before the climb, so we were not acclimated to the altitude and we didn't know to drink a ton of water for a day before the climb. Meds might be in order this time.
Mick

1 - 20 of 46 Posts