Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I want to, and probably will. But, our trip to the Texas Hill Country a few weeks ago caused some concern! My poor little car was in 2nd gear the whole time! Gas mileage was awful! But how can I possibly NOT!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Second gear in the Hill Country? Something not right about that; I had our 08 down there in the Kerrville area a few years back and it would occasionally drop down to fourth but that was it. Anyway, getting up to 14K feet will probably require some second gear for all of us, particularly on the way down. See you there! :)

http://pikespeak.us.com/Essentials/driving-tips.html

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the turbo smarts fair over the naturally aspirated ones???
Was looking at my carb manual and it claims the carburetor that is on Frankensmart needs to leaned out 2% for every 1500 feet feet of elevation from which it was set...The cornfields of Illinois where I live are at 580 feet above sea level...
Westminster's elevation is 5384 feet so I'll already be about 7% too rich...
Pikespeak @ what ? 14,000 feet... Black smoke would be pouring out the exhaust if it will even run...:rolleyes:
Another reason why electronic fuel injection was invented...:wink:

·
Super Moderator
29,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Back when I was stationed in Denver you could always tell the cars from the flatlands going up into the mountains - all the way over in the slow lane, doing about 30 mph and smoking like crazy. Bring your tools! :D

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Back when I was stationed in Denver you could always tell the cars from the flatlands going up into the mountains - all the way over in the slow lane, doing about 30 mph and smoking like crazy. Bring your tools! :D
Not a problem unless you have a carburetor.

Back in the 1970s I drove to Colorado Springs, unaware of the need to have the carburetor jets changed, I had no clue why my car had no power. Stopped a a garage where the problem was quickly diagnosed. I was relieved at the cost, heh..

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
There are no trees in western Kansas to burn (or eastern Colorado either.
The forest is just fulfilling it's name. It will soon be just a forest of black tree trunks.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I love Colorado. Hate the nasty storms that come out of no where, in the mountains. Hate the lighting too, and large hail storms. They did a number on one of my cars a couple years ago, at Estes Park.

Bring some marshmallows.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Last I heard today the fire was 55% contained. Some rain yesterday afternoon or night, apparently caused by people washing their cars, helped. Honest one of the Fire Officials thanks the people that washed their cars.

BTW, Eastern Colorado has enough dry grass and sporadic trees to burn. Grass fires can be just as bad as Forest Fires. I saw that in Oklahoma a few years ago during a drought. The houses in Eastern Colorado are just further apart.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Black Forest is about 25 miles to the northeast of Pikes Peak. Let's hope the fire is not still burning a month from now.
Just don't plan on visiting the Royal Gorge while you are in Colorado for the Nationals. There is a Forest Fire there as well. 48 of 52 buildings burned, the Incline Railway burned and some of the planks on the bridge were damaged. They say the will rebuild and reopen. I don't think that will happen this summer but who knows. It is 65% contained. Burned 3200 acres.

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
Just don't plan on visiting the Royal Gorge while you are in Colorado for the Nationals. There is a Forest Fire there as well. 48 of 52 buildings burned, the Incline Railway burned and some of the planks on the bridge were damaged. They say the will rebuild and reopen. I don't think that will happen this summer but who knows. It is 65% contained. Burned 3200 acres.
What about Skyline Drive?? We were planning to go there after Pike's Peak.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts