Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071114/APC03/711140621/1028/OSHbusiness

Some tidbits about deliveries:

"John Bergstrom, chairman and chief executive officer of Neenah-based Bergstrom Automotive Group, told The Post-Crescent that his still-under-construction Milwaukee dealership for the Mercedes Benz-made two-seat vehicles already has presold more than 200. He was expecting about 320 vehicles in the first wave of orders for his Milwaukee store opening Jan.

While early sales are encouraging to Bergstrom, some buyers may have to wait for their vehicles because of strong demand.

"We don't want to promise delivery too fast," he said. "

So what happens to the extra 120 cars? Available for walk-ins with $$$??

·
Registered
171 Posts
http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071114/APC03/711140621/1028/OSHbusiness

Some tidbits about deliveries:

"John Bergstrom, chairman and chief executive officer of Neenah-based Bergstrom Automotive Group, told The Post-Crescent that his still-under-construction Milwaukee dealership for the Mercedes Benz-made two-seat vehicles already has presold more than 200. He was expecting about 320 vehicles in the first wave of orders for his Milwaukee store opening Jan.

While early sales are encouraging to Bergstrom, some buyers may have to wait for their vehicles because of strong demand.

"We don't want to promise delivery too fast," he said. "

So what happens to the extra 120 cars? Available for walk-ins with $$$??
Either he was taking through his hat or the reporter got confused. We know none have been "pre-sold". A lot reserved and some confirmed yes, but not sold. And I suspect the 320 is what he was promised for the year. With 60 dealers and 20,000 built, that's about right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bergstrom

Called the Bergstrom Chevy office which is where the Smart lot will be and was informed that they have a manager and his name is Ryan and he is in training from the 13th to the 15th. Left a message on his voicemail just asking for a general update.

·
Registered
973 Posts
As Paul C indicates 50 dealers times 320 cars equal 16,000! 320 at best is likely to be an annual allotment.

My local Dealer's Manager is reported to be in California this week at training also. If all are there maybe next week will bring some actual news!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be he has 200 confirmed reservations now and 120 cars to be sold later. If the 120 by walk-ins or future internet orders/reservations/confirmations we'll have to see.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The Dallas dealer supposedly has 900+ reservations, according to the people on the road tour. I might have to wait 3 years in that case.

Or otherwise go to the dealer in Weatherford.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I used to live in Neenah, its a pretty small place. Car dealers sell there from Fon du Lac to Green Bay. Lots of cows, corn and silos. Now I'm in LA, got to be a LOT more confirmations/cars being sent here than Wisconsin.

Good chance is that dealers with more configurations will get more cars...

You will be assigned a dealer based on your ZIP code to complete your purchase.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Could be he has 200 confirmed reservations now and 120 cars to be sold later. If the 120 by walk-ins or future internet orders/reservations/confirmations we'll have to see.
My bet: He has an allotment of 320, 200 have taken the next step to configure(sent to the factory to build), 120 still (very very very slowly) waiting for that configuration email from Dave, we will not make it throught the entire reservation list in 2008, no way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's a reasonable explanation, but the math doesn't work out. If he's an average dealer and has 200 confirmations, that would multiply out to 12,000 confirmations and we know there's been fewer than half that. I'm inclined to have no confidence in this guy. In an earlier interview, he (or someone else from the dealership) announced they were opening smart dealerships in both Madison and Grand Chute. Grand Chute? I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That's a reasonable explanation, but the math doesn't work out. If he's an average dealer and has 200 confirmations, that would multiply out to 12,000 confirmations and we know there's been fewer than half that. I'm inclined to have no confidence in this guy. In an earlier interview, he (or someone else from the dealership) announced they were opening smart dealerships in both Madison and Grand Chute. Grand Chute? I don't think so.
Bergstrom has a small lot in Grand Chute, perhaps he'll park a couple of smarts over there. Madison is another story, and a larger market than Neenah.

As for "average" we can't rely on what you might think is average. He may be over average. He's going to be the dealer for most of Wisconsin? That could explain it due to a large sales area.

I think my dealer in Beverly Hills will also be way above "average" verses Wisconsin.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bergstrom has a small lot in Grand Chute, perhaps he'll park a couple of smarts over there. Madison is another story, and a larger market than Neenah.

As for "average" we can't rely on what you might think is average. He may be over average. Is there a dealer on tap in Milwaukee? That could explain it due to a larger sales area. I think my dealer in Beverly Hills will also be way above "average" verses Neenah, Wisconsin.
There's no smart dealer in Neenah. That's Bergstrom's headquarters. He, for sure, is opening a dealership in Milwaukee and maybe, sometime, in Madison. If you look at the distribution of the dealerships you can see that there are more dealerships in the areas likely to sell more cars - five in the LA area for example. I think the network is being set up, at least in the beginning, to have very roughly equal sales.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's no smart dealer in Neenah. That's Bergstrom's headquarters. He, for sure, is opening a dealership in Milwaukee and maybe, sometime, in Madison. If you look at the distribution of the dealerships you can see that there are more dealerships in the areas likely to sell more cars - five in the LA area for example. I think the network is being set up, at least in the beginning, to have very roughly equal sales.
Then his car allotment number makes sense for most of Wisconsin and Northern Illinois.

My big question is what happens to the extra 120 cars over his reservations. For the next set of non-confirmed reservations (I hope so) or for those who show up at the dealer with $$$.

Per Roger Penske the list is sacred. Let's hope he's swearing on some bibles about that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
bergstrom lot

The logical Bergstrom lot would be in Grand Chute (Appleton) Its where the luxury lines are....Land Rover, Volvo, Lexus, MB, Porsche. There is enough land there where they could cram in a stand alone smart store. The other thing I wonder is if the allocation is just for Milwaukee or if its for the three stores.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The logical Bergstrom lot would be in Grand Chute (Appleton) Its where the luxury lines are....Land Rover, Volvo, Lexus, MB, Porsche. There is enough land there where they could cram in a stand alone smart store. The other thing I wonder is if the allocation is just for Milwaukee or if its for the three stores.
http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071114/APC03/711140621/1888

Here's some more about Bergstrom from the local Appleton newspaper. Grand Chute will be later, the initial allocation is probably for Milwaukee.

John Bergstrom, chairman and chief executive officer of Neenah-based Bergstrom Automotive Group, told The Post-Crescent that his still-under-construction Milwaukee dealership for the Mercedes Benz-made two-seat vehicles already has presold more than 200. He was expecting about 320 vehicles in the first wave of orders for his Milwaukee store opening Jan. 8.

Bergstrom is the exclusive Wisconsin seller of the Smart car and the first of 73 dealers in country to offer the vehicles.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I live in De Pere WI in between Green Bay and Appleton. This last saturday I drove to the luxury lot area near casoloma drive and stopped in to talk. I was told Milwaukee site is being built, however they are not scheduling any construction to build one in Appleton. I'm still waiting to take the next step in getting my Smart rollin' so to speak. Looks like Milwaukee will be the closest when, er IF I can pick one up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts