1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an excerpt from an email from smartusa announcing the smart electric
----------------

MAKING HISTORY

As our way of saying goodbye to the gasoline*past and moving forward to an electric future,*we*donated our last gasoline-powered smart to the Lane Motor Museum in Nashville, Tenn., the country’s largest European and micro car collection. Catch up on this and other developments by*following us on Instagram. FOLLOW US

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Not sure what is more odd. Donating the last car to the motor museum... or that they actually think that this will be a way of "moving forward" instead of completely sinking the brand as a whole in the US.

I know.... there are people on here who do not feel that the lack of an I.C.E. 453 is a death knell for SmartUSA.... but with MANY dealerships seemingly no longer wanting to be Smart Centers due to having next to no Electric Drive clientele... seems like it to me.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Killing off the smart brand here. Only offering a EV. Doesn't sound like making history to me. Not a ICE smart, in inventory. Within a 250 mile, other city, of ours. At the present. All ICE smart cars sold out. I really doubt those other MB dealers, will even carry the smart brand now.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
What a bunch of morons. Luckily for them, people are enchanted by the three pointed star; otherwise their products' subpar quality, ridiculous prices and the team's incompetence in matters related to what people actually want in a sporty car would sink the brand here.

Just waiting for the Bluetec "cheat" penny to drop.....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This car was special ordered by the Brand Manager of the former smart Center-Oxnard. He ordered it for himself & was expecting delivery when his dealership terminated their contract with smart. The car was never delivered to the dealership, even though they were selling their left over inventory. It was rumored that this car was instead sent to one of the smart Center's in the Bay Area as one of the centers wanted this car. Now we know where it went. We will have to see what the museum will do with this car. Maybe they will sell it. The former smart Center Oxnard also wants to get rid of their 451 Tridion cutaway. It has been moved outside & may be scrapped if someone doesn't save it. Get in touch with Barry Rudin, if you are interested in the cutaway tridion at (805) 604-5577. His e-mail is [email protected].

·
Registered
254 Posts
I imagine lots of folks said the same thing about horse and buggy companies that shifted into gas powered cars a century ago; they are dooming the brand. Every day there is another article about the shift to electric cars. Volvo announced it will only produce electrics in the not distant future. France and the UK have announced shifts to allowing only electrics and India and China are considering the same. Only seems logical that SMART would do the same. Projections show that electrics cars will decline in production cost and become cheaper than their gas cousins in less than a decade. Combine that with lower operating costs and enhanced range and it only seems logical that a sea change is forthcoming. Most of us will be dead before most cars on the road are electric, but car companies have to look far into the future. No point spending billions on new gas car factories if the public is shifting to electrics.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Right now, the major issues with electric vehicles all have to do with the battery capacity, charging speed, and electricity transmission infrastructure. Of these, the battery issues seem to be nearing some viable solutions for high energy density, extremely quick charging time, and minimal loss of capacity. The electrical infrastructure is the main problem. There are technologies that should soon be able to produce superconductive or near-superconductive room-temperature cabling with will make very high current levels available at many more locations. However, that will take time to replace the infrastructure that is already there.

I have confidence it will happen pretty quickly. I remember when cellular data first became widely available and it was said there would be huge difficulties in providing the infrastructure for everyone to be able to have data on demand. Yet here we are. Because something like half of the electricity leaving the power plants gets lost in the cabling, there is money behind the incentive to make this better, and that will only help EV adoption.

We really do need a Smart type vehicle with about a 60 kw/h battery pack. That would be absolutely awesome, and you can have 200 HP from it at that point too.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I stand corrected as well. Crock 42 got the story directly from the Barry. I would also like to know where Barry's manual transmission Brabus Coupe ended up. I would also like to see someone acquire the tridion cutaway from Oxnard. It would be ashamed to see it end up being scrapped.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
The former smart Center Oxnard also wants to get rid of their 451 Tridion cutaway. It has been moved outside & may be scrapped if someone doesn't save it. Get in touch with Barry Rudin, if you are interested in the cutaway tridion at (805) 604-5577. His e-mail is [email protected].
Aw come on why does it have to be in California? The shipping would murder me.

This wouldn't qualify as a road trip item. I'd need to replace Tucker's tyres before going on a 4,000 mile road trip.

Also, smart isn't making history by going all EV. Firstly they aren't a full line manufacturer, so it was easy to throw ICE under the bus and go "full EV". Second, the smart ED doesn't much to move us closer to an all EV future, electric city cars are some of the most common EVs in the world.

What would be making history is seeing a brand like Ford going all EV... Now that would be a sight to behold.

Reactions: CROCK 42

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I imagine lots of folks said the same thing about horse and buggy companies that shifted into gas powered cars a century ago; they are dooming the brand. Every day there is another article about the shift to electric cars. Volvo announced it will only produce electrics in the not distant future. France and the UK have announced shifts to allowing only electrics and India and China are considering the same. Only seems logical that SMART would do the same. Projections show that electrics cars will decline in production cost and become cheaper than their gas cousins in less than a decade. Combine that with lower operating costs and enhanced range and it only seems logical that a sea change is forthcoming. Most of us will be dead before most cars on the road are electric, but car companies have to look far into the future. No point spending billions on new gas car factories if the public is shifting to electrics.
While i'd like to agree with you.... i'm pretty sure the switch from horse & buggy to gasoline powered cars probably offered more pros than it did cons. And ironically.... you could say that it offered the OPPOSITE pros and cons that we're seeing with the switch to EV's at this point. Didn't have to stop and let your horses rest for an extended period of time. Could go further between "rest" stops.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What would be making history is seeing a brand like Ford going all EV... Now that would be a sight to behold.
Or a brand like Volvo going all EV...

Of course arguing over the phrase 'making history' is splitting hairs. I could say I made history when I bought a SMART, as it was a first for me. It is making history for me, but certainly not for humanity. Similarly SMART is making history for SMART in the USA by shifting to electric only, but not for humanity as even a century ago there were electric only car companies. And SMART is not an electric only car company. They are still making and selling gas cars all over the world; not here but elsewhere. That of course means parts will still be available; just not as cheap nor as easy to get. So it is making history for SMART in the US, but not making history in the larger sense.

The bigger announcement is Volvo, which not only is a major brand but is also going purely electric worldwide. Volvo and SMART recognize the writing on the wall, as is virtually every other major car company out there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
While i'd like to agree with you.... i'm pretty sure the switch from horse & buggy to gasoline powered cars probably offered more pros than it did cons. And ironically.... you could say that it offered the OPPOSITE pros and cons that we're seeing with the switch to EV's at this point. Didn't have to stop and let your horses rest for an extended period of time. Could go further between "rest" stops.
The first gas powered cars had a lot more cons that you are admitting. Lots of breakdowns; no windshields; no infrastructure (no roads, no gas stations). I could go on, but the early adopters of gas cars had more cons than any folks buying EV today. Just as it took time for infrastructure to build for cars to replace horse and buggy, and it took time to work out the problems with early gas powered cars, it will take a few years for EV infrastructure to develope, and for battery technology to become both cheaper and faster to charge. However, SMART, Volvo and other car companies are recognizing that a decade or two from now it will be a whole new world, with EV being cheaper to buy and own than gas cars, with EV having good range and charging. At that point the sea change will have already occurred. Thus, if you are an executive at Volvo or SMART or another car company, you won't see a return on your investment of billions in a new car model or car factory. Yes, they will continue to make gas powered cars for decades as there will be folks who want them or applications that require them. The same was true for horse and buggy; many folks stayed with them long after gas cars came onto the scene, either because they preferred horses or because some applications were better suited to horses.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The first gas powered cars had a lot more cons that you are admitting. Lots of breakdowns; no windshields; no infrastructure (no roads, no gas stations). I could go on, but the early adopters of gas cars had more cons than any folks buying EV today. Just as it took time for infrastructure to build for cars to replace horse and buggy, and it took time to work out the problems with early gas powered cars, it will take a few years for EV infrastructure to develope, and for battery technology to become both cheaper and faster to charge. However, SMART, Volvo and other car companies are recognizing that a decade or two from now it will be a whole new world, with EV being cheaper to buy and own than gas cars, with EV having good range and charging. At that point the sea change will have already occurred. Thus, if you are an executive at Volvo or SMART or another car company, you won't see a return on your investment of billions in a new car model or car factory. Yes, they will continue to make gas powered cars for decades as there will be folks who want them or applications that require them. The same was true for horse and buggy; many folks stayed with them long after gas cars came onto the scene, either because they preferred horses or because some applications were better suited to horses.
Only downside is that while Smart MAY see EV's as being the future of motoring... they're not really pushing the idea by keeping the same lackluster battery capacity in the car. Think even if they had tried to push for MAYBE 120 miles of range, it would have been more accessible to more people than it currently is with range in the 80 mile area. 120 mile range might have even made me consider an ED Smart. But with 80 mile range, i'd be charging it daily, because i'd NEED to charge it daily, having a 60-mile round trip commute to and from work alone.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts