Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
17,360 Posts
Once the factory in China is built and tooled, smartville stops building smarts. It'll then be tooled to build EQ MBs.

It's an unfortunate fate, but at least they aren't going to close it.

·
17,360 Posts
Don't hold your breath. It's been long confirmed that smart is all EV from 2020 forward. The ICE dies with the 453.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
It’s so sad, the smartville plant was so cool. The cost of running it, smart lost too much money. It was environmental friendly.

·
17,360 Posts
They aren't dismantling it. As part of the new plan and ownership, the plant will continue to run. When smart production moves to China, the smartville plant will become MB's electric car factory. So instead of smarts they'll be pumping out more expensive cars with the MB star on them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pity gas/petrol engines are finished. Luckily I bought one of the last 453 Petrol Cabrios in April this year to come off the production line to the UK before it finished. So it will have to do me a long long while. Think Smart made a big mistake as Electric cars have big downsides like lack of range and being a lot more expensive. This is my fifth Smart Car since 2003, and I will not be buying another. If Smart think loyal customers will keep buying the brand with only electric cars available, then they may be in for a surprise.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I agree. The "gassers" ,"still have a lot of leg"; left underneath them! 👍
I can easily cover more than 250 miles between gas station stops... and still take less fuel than most of my bikes ever did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts