Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were traveling South 55mph in a 4 momth old 2013 Smart on state highway when 1 ton flat bed truck failed to yield and pulled out heading West in front of us. Slammed on the brakes,,,started to skid about 30 feet then got rearended by very large cab-over-engine box delivery truck. Delivery truck never put on brakes and hit us at about 65 mph, flipped us sideways and we broadsided the 1 ton. Passenger side of Smart took out front wheel of the 1 ton. My husband was a little stiff for a couple of days, I messed up my left leg (not broke). Smart was was totaled , but the safety cell was undamaged. Both doors opened normaly, we were able to easily get out. Picked up my new 2014 Smart 6 days ago. Smart proved itself to us.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Glad your smart was sacrificed so you didn't have to !!!
Glad everyone is all right and happy in the NEW smart :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wow that sounds nasty glad you guys are okay

no surprise the smart did its job, tough little thing it is.

these are the kinds of stories these dumb naysayers should be reading

"oh i would never drive a smart car i wouldn't feel safe in it" "that thing is a coffin on wheels/deathtrap, etc"

all invalid statements

·
Registered
465 Posts
Impressive for sure. And also a good bit of luck. The stars aligned in your favor that day. Any wreck in any car is a crap shoot. :eek:

Not dissing the car at all. I love these stories. Makes me feel a little better about my buggy. My old Civic would have become a gum wrapper in that wreck. And I'd have been ABC* gum.

:) So glad you folks walked away without serious injury. :)

*Already been chewed!

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Wreck pictures

All photos are linked to the full size images received

1 -"Hit me 1st"

2 - "Hit me 1st-2"

3 - "Side of 1 ton"

4 - "smart after stopping"

5 - "Back of 1 ton flatbed"

6 - "smart with doors open"

7 - "Passenger rear"

8 - "Front passenger side damage"

9 - "Front view bumper"

10 - "Driver side no damage"

Don't forget to report these images

·
17,349 Posts
Holy smokes, the International looks like it ran into a concrete bollard. I expected the smart to look much worse.

The car performed VERY well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If that International is similar to the Budget trucks I rented for the high school marching band, it's mostly fiberglass and plastic up front, and not a lot more than that plus some low quality plywood for the box. The rental truck's only truly solid pieces were the frame, engine, transmission, suspension and the lift gate - the rest could be seriously damaged by a freshman cheerleader climbing on it...

·
17,349 Posts
But all International trucks use steel bumpers. That particular model had a plastic cover over the bumper.

IIRC - The cabover models are all metal, but the other models (particularly the ones used in school/rental services) with the cab behind the engine do have fibreglass. Still with steel bumpers though.

As for the box, that's up to the builder.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts