Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used 2016 EV Fortwo. I love this car for driving around town as it is quiet and easy to park. However, shortly after I bought it, I noticed a foul odor in the car. Like a vomit smell. I have tried to eliminate the odor. I have taken the car for complete interior detailing. Still the smell pervades. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Possibly in your vent system. There are treatments you spray into outside fresh air intake vents that eliminate the smell. Do you notice it when you have the fan on?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check first for hardened milk spill (its the worst), usually you find a hardened carpet patch, you would need to shampoo the carpet at that spot. Next is to clean air conditioner. See below (Detol = Lysol in USA)

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My wife had a gallon of milk spill over. Such a nasty smell. Try sprinkling baking soda all over the carpeting. Leave a open box inside your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possibly in your vent system. There are treatments you spray into outside fresh air intake vents that eliminate the smell. Do you notice it when you have the fan on?
Hi Oliver Thanks for responding. Am riding in the car now and turned on the fan. Don’t notice the smell. I usually smell it when it has been sitting and I first get into the car.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I was thinking too, you might want to replace your interior cabin filter. With a new one.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
You car, is a 451? There are some You tube video’s of the proceed. It’s under the dash, right of the gas pedal.

On a 451 smart car

On a 453 smart car....

·
Registered
560 Posts
Fabrese makes a cheap cabin filter for Arm and Hammer filter. I shop vac gets 90% of debris from the ductwork.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
133 Posts
Cabin filter and an ozone generator. Run the AC on recirculate while running the ozone generator
Don't stay in the car if using an ozone generator. Does the same damage to your lungs as it does to microorganisms. It will also break down rubber and plastic, so you don't want to do it often or for too long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts