Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine light came on w/ code P2188. One of the rings that tightens the airbox hose seemed to be a bit loose after I changed the filter so I tightened it and turned the light off but the light came back on. Then I saw that one of the clamps from the airbox (the middle one was undone) so I clamped it back on the airbox & turned light off but now its back on!

Went to get a smog test and paid $20 but failed it b/c of the code (P2188). Looked over everything and don't see anything loose & don't know what to do now. Really can't afford dealership to get their hands on it.

Also every 8 or 9 times when I turn the ignition on it takes longer than usual to turn on so instead of 1 second it takes 2 or 3 seconds. Wonder if this is related to the light. Any advice would be appreciated...:shrug:

'08, 41Kmiles

·
Registered
249 Posts
Engine light came on w/ code P2188. One of the rings that tightens the airbox hose seemed to be a bit loose after I changed the filter so I tightened it and turned the light off but the light came back on. Then I saw that one of the clamps from the airbox (the middle one was undone) so I clamped it back on the airbox & turned light off but now its back on!

Went to get a smog test and paid $20 but failed it b/c of the code (P2188). Looked over everything and don't see anything loose & don't know what to do now. Really can't afford dealership to get their hands on it.

Also every 8 or 9 times when I turn the ignition on it takes longer than usual to turn on so instead of 1 second it takes 2 or 3 seconds. Wonder if this is related to the light. Any advice would be appreciated...:shrug:

'08, 41Kmiles
Look here:
https://www.autocodes.com/p2188.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The scanner just indicated P2188 but I'm going to put the scanner on again to see if I can get more specific information about the monitors/sensors. Maybe I didn't get all the information that there is with the scanner.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Have a look at this thread, http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f353/cel-code-p2188-too-rich-idle-39273/ Around page 2-3 seems to start to get into the problem you have being unable to clear code.

Problem with scan tools is they pump out generic codes which might not make a lot of sense for a particular car, our Saturns have this problem so sometimes you have to dig around online for info related to the particular type of car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Niteshooter I've read it along with every other thread for P2188. If it is the O2 sensor for example, how would I tell? Does the scanner tell me or do I visually inspect/test the O2 sensor? Really can't afford to go to the dealership. They might be able to fix it really easily or it might need a part replacement which would cost much more.

This is ridiculous for the engine light to come on and have these problems on a car with 41K miles. First it was the three bars of death, then the seat belt light came on, then the fuel pump broke, now the engine light. Not exactly the most hassle free/reliable car. Almost reaching the point of regretting my purchase.

Smog Tester said that if the car is partially zero emissions vehicle then smart might fix it for free.

UPDATE: I cleared the code & it might have been a lose gas cap. I tightened the cap and it has not come back so far. Have to drive it a bit more to make sure light doesn't come back on and I'll be good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts