Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2003 New Beetle Turbo S that sounds like a jet taking off when you first start it. After watching many videos on Youtube I tracked it down to needing the secondary air pump replaced. Then I realized the 2013 Brabus I recently bought does the same then and yep it needs replacing too but on the Smart, they refer to it as a smog pump. Here is a link to a YT video with the exact same sound as mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Uu3-ZJmi0&frags=pl,wn

Apparently, this is an emissions pump that forces air into the catalytic converter when the car is cold for 30 to 45 seconds then shuts down. For my Beetle, a new pump is around $32.00 on eBay, of course for the Smart the best price I have so far is around $150.00. Neither car has thrown a code, but when the pump finally goes out, they both will and the check engine light will come on. So, has anyone replaced this pump on their Smart? I looked and it is very tight in that engine compartment so I'm trying to figure out how to pull the old one and install a new pump. On my Beetle, you need to put the car on a lift and remove the plastic pan and it is right there, so a much easier replacement. Also, since this is just a smog issue, could it be disconnected without any harm to the cat converter?

I've read some other posts on this whereas many say it is normal. I guess it is normal until the pump goes out, then it throws a code with the check engine light coming on. Can anyone point me to instructions on how to replace it? I'm not going to wait for it to go out.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Goofybutsane replaced his secondary air pump on his 09 smart.
We talked about it on the phone last weekend. He said, that he removed the rear passenger wheel and worked on it from that angle. He stated that out of the three bolts there was only one at the top of the pump which he said was hard to get at. Some don't replace it, he was able to use needle nosed pliers to tighten it up.
Other than that one bolt it didn't seem to be a hard job.
Good Luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm going to do my New Beetle first as that thing is screaming like a banshee. The Smart will be done in a few weeks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took the Brabus to my mechanic friend who does my 03 NB Turbo S and talked to him about the Smog Pump. He said, "You buy the part, we will replace it, $50.00." These guys are great. I supplied all the parts to do an oil change and new plugs on my 03 Turbo S. Replacing those plugs is a bear to do. The did it all, for $100.00 and the mechanic who works on my car is top notch and so particular. I told him I wanted to see the old plugs since the car has 52,000 miles just to see how they held up. When I picked the car up, he had each plug in a box the new plugs came in and numbered which cylinder they came out of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts