Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2003 New Beetle Turbo S that sounds like a jet taking off when you first start it. After watching many videos on Youtube I tracked it down to needing the secondary air pump replaced. Then I realized the 2013 Brabus I recently bought does the same then and yep it needs replacing too but on the Smart, they refer to it as a smog pump. Here is a link to a YT video with the exact same sound as mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Uu3-ZJmi0&frags=pl,wn

Apparently, this is an emissions pump that forces air into the catalytic converter when the car is cold for 30 to 45 seconds then shuts down. For my Beetle, a new pump is around $32.00 on eBay, of course for the Smart the best price I have so far is around $150.00. Neither car has thrown a code, but when the pump finally goes out, they both will and the check engine light will come on. So, has anyone replaced this pump on their Smart? I looked and it is very tight in that engine compartment so I'm trying to figure out how to pull the old one and install a new pump. On my Beetle, you need to put the car on a lift and remove the plastic pan and it is right there, so a much easier replacement. Also, since this is just a smog issue, could it be disconnected without any harm to the cat converter?

I've read some other posts on this whereas many say it is normal. I guess it is normal until the pump goes out, then it throws a code with the check engine light coming on. Can anyone point me to instructions on how to replace it? I'm not going to wait for it to go out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took the Brabus to my mechanic friend who does my 03 NB Turbo S and talked to him about the Smog Pump. He said, "You buy the part, we will replace it, $50.00." These guys are great. I supplied all the parts to do an oil change and new plugs on my 03 Turbo S. Replacing those plugs is a bear to do. The did it all, for $100.00 and the mechanic who works on my car is top notch and so particular. I told him I wanted to see the old plugs since the car has 52,000 miles just to see how they held up. When I picked the car up, he had each plug in a box the new plugs came in and numbered which cylinder they came out of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.