Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was running fine. I stopped at light, when I started driving car bucked, but then ran fine. The next day after driving for a few miles I turned off car. Everything was fine until I started the car. There was a very hard bucking, I immediately turned it off. White smoke was coming out of exhaust. I had car towed to mechanic. They changed the valve cover gasket. This did not fix the problem. When car was started a lot of smoke still came out of exhaust. We gave up on mechanic and drove 5 miles home. Again, when started there was a lot of smoke. After 5 minutes it stopped smoking. We now have it parked until we can get a diagnosis. Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong? :)I love my car! It is a 2008 with 114,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I would check for a blown head gasket. Has the car overheated? The car probably would not buck if it was due to an oil leak.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
You gave up on the mechanic likely because you lost trust in him and you drive home to have no solution or remedy? It seams to me that you had better chances with the mechanic...

·
Registered
287 Posts
If the smoke is just at startup, then it might be condensation in the exhaust pipe/muffler. If it goes away when the car warms up, no worries.

If the smoke hangs around all the time, water/coolant could be leaking into the combustion chamber...i.e., bad head gasket as mentioned earlier

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Could be a leaking injector. leaking valve stem seals, something a qualified mechanic should look at.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
You gave up on the mechanic likely because you lost trust in him and you drive home to have no solution or remedy? It seams to me that you had better chances with the mechanic...
I would be inclined to agree with the OP. I would not expect a valve cover gasket to stop an engine from blowing white smoke.
It is time to take this car to a qualified mechanic. One that has been around the block a few times.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
White smoke, likely a blown head gasket, water in cylinder... Blue smoke, oil... hole in piston, bad rings, bad valve guides and seals,crankcase ventilation blockage... Not good, white or blue...

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
White smoke, I'd say is a head gasket or cracked head/block. It could be sealing up once it gets up to temp. Might be time for a trade-in... before it gets worse!!

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
I would start with a compression test. After that I would go with a leak down test. hey will show the condition of the valves, rings, and head gasket. They do require some special tools thet most mechanics may not have on hand. The plugs are a smaller size than most cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 smartcar smoking problems

car started skipping after this when you press gas pedal to increase speed it smokes quite badly in I does not smoke engine light came on any one know what could be causing this problem sure would appreciate any help RAY

·
Registered
249 Posts
car started skipping after this when you press gas pedal to increase speed it smokes quite badly in I does not smoke engine light came on any one know what could be causing this problem sure would appreciate any help RAY
What color smoke? White or bluish gray or blackish? If white suspect head gasket, bluish gray - oil, stuck or bad valve, blackish - running too rich (gas) maybe a stuck fuel injector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts