Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have searched the forum for snow chain recommendations but all I got is that people here really enjoy taking their smart on the snow.

My worst memory of my smart on the snow was getting stuck on a parking space and then asking two ladies to help me push it out.
So I wanted to either get snow tires (which my shop does not have at the moment) or the next best thing a pair of snow chains.

Does anyone in this community have recommendations of chains that would work with my smart fortwo EQ?
Preferably something I can order on Amazon.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
28,404 Posts
If you are dead set on chains and have $300 to spend, try these (for the 451 if that's what your car is): smart car Snow Chains - Genuine smart product Online Store - smart car Parts and Accessories
Chains are meant for low speeds and not for use on dry pavement, so may not be ideal unless you routinely get heavy snowfalls and roads aren't plowed. Most people find dedicated winter tires (Blizzaks, etc.) to be pretty good in snow, and they are usually available from online sources like Tire Rack. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wouldn't get chains, noisy and break (and damage surrounding bodywork) if driven over 40mph, pain to put on and take off.

If you got 15" rims, I'd get true winter tires that are as quiet as all seasons:

You must have a discount tire closeby:

I went for the Nokian WRG4 in 185/55/15 All Weather tire on my 450s (a little harder to find)
I tried the Vredestein Quadrac 5s (another All Weather tire) on one, the Nokians on the other and one icestorm I tried to go up this 'test hill' nearby and the Nokian car made it up, the Vredesteins didn't.
The Scandinavians know how to make good snow tires :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
This is a very good line of chains. If you’d noted your tire size I’d have looked it up for you...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run Nokian Weatherproof boots. In much-O independent testing they performed as well as snow tyres (and I can personally confirm that they do) but are much better behaved in warmer temperatures than snow boots. It took me months to source them in the correct sizes though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Alas, I'm a search and rescue volunteer so much as I'd love to stay home it's likely I'll be called out to rescue someone who thought hill walking in shorts and flip flops during a british winter was a good idea. The Smart hasn't failed me yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
I have a Land Rover for such excursions, and if that fails, the wife has a Trail Blazer. Both have no problems with the bit of snow that falls around here, deepest so far was just short of 2 feet at one time. Anything over 6-8 inches and the smart stays home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts