Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realized that my smart does a poor effort driving in the snow :crying:
i have stock M/S tires. i am not sure if it was the stock tires or the light weight of the smart that was the cause.

i got stuck 6 times in the parking lot with only 2" of snow on the ground
so i had to park it and switch to my Honda Insight to drive around.
i was surprised i was able to drive through the snow with no problem

·
Super Moderator
28,531 Posts
More info. Stuck meaning what? Any lights on the panel? Depending on conditions, the ESP may have been cutting in to keep you from moving - not a great feature when the car gets bogged in snow. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I mean stuck: the tires would spin (w/esp on) in the snow without moving the car forward or reverse.

I think it was a comb of a light car not being able to compress the snow to the skinny tires could gain traction.

I know the esp cause a reduction of power to the engine preventing tire spin.
On my insight the esp or honda's version of it was on but I still had traction to keep moving forward

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
The electronic stability control will apply brakes first and then cuts power to reduce wheel spin. You have to really baby the throttle to keep it from shutting you down and still building some momentum. I would love to have a switch on mine that would deactivate just the traction control for snow use. Perhaps the 2015 will?
How old are those low mile tires?

·
Registered
912 Posts
The stock tires - Continental ContiProContact "all season" tires - are horrible in the slightest bit of snow or slush.

The tread compound is too hard. The sidewalls are too hard. The grooves are almost all longitudinal so there is nowhere for the "wedge" of snow or slush building up in front to escape out the sides, it just lifts the contact patch up. Winter tires must have deep side-to-side grooves to bite into the snow and send slush out to the side.

Winter tires make an enormous difference. Sorry southerners, it is what it is. I switched out to winter tires in early December and haven't had any trouble. (Near Toronto - and we've had our share of winter conditions this year - another 15 cm of snow are expected tomorrow - the smart is currently the only operable vehicle that I own)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Interesting...

My wife's Smart saved her rear in the recent Atlanta snow. There was easily that much snow, and she wound up driving around everybody who stalled out in front of her. She's running Kuhmos. I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

·
Registered
800 Posts
We just had 6+ inches of snow and my car worked very well on my original Continental tires that were half worn. Only issue was the air dam kicking snow onto windshield. Little squirly on solid ice but i could get it working. Drive in manual mode and keep the shifts in line to keep tires from spinning. Very easy to spin the tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts