Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the ESP disabled in my wife's smart car for a couple weeks now, but really got to get it out last night on my drive home. About 25 miles of mostly highway in the snow we had up in the Northeast...

Now I will say the tires are original and have ~32k miles, so definitely worn and are mediocre all seasons. That said, the car is quite the driver challenge in slick conditions!!! The rear end really wanted to step out, however what I found surprising is how controllable the car was when the rear kicked out. For such a short wheelbase car, I really expected almost instant rotation, and while it did want to spin, a quick correction would keep me either moving at a constant slip angle or would tuck the rear back in line.

Anyways, if we keep the car for a while (have had it 4.5 years now) I'll need a set of snows for next winter. In the meantime, it's quite a riot to drive on the back roads in snow!!

·
17,349 Posts
Ditto. I only turn mine off when:

A) The snow is so deep that Traction Control is counterproductive and pretty much gets you stuck.

B) When I want to have drifting shenanigans.

Otherwise, ESP is your silent guardian, your co-driver. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
ESP is pretty nice. It's saved my rear quite a few times - I find the smart to be fantastic though, especially when being able to quickly correct out of bad situations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts