Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which snow tires are available for Smart Fortwo Electric Drive? I looked at previous posts on this subject and tires mentioned in those posts are no longer being made.

How could I find good quality snow tires for this monster?

·
Registered
2015 smart Fortwo Passion Coupe
44 Posts
I highly recommend Tire Rack for any tires. You can look up tires for your car, and get them delivered to either an installer, to you, or have someone show up and install them. I don't have a 453, but chances are someone has written a review on certain tires on Tire Rack.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked on Tire Rack before posting this question. They have only 1 option - Continental (with no reviews of that tire model) - and expensive.

·
Registered
2015 smart Fortwo Passion Coupe
44 Posts
I found out that theres a pretty wide range of tire sizes that will fit on the wheels. The factory tire sizes are really uncommon so try moving the sizes around until you get a more common tire size. It opens up more options and it's how I did research on the tires I am planning on buying. Try looking at higher profiles (60-70) for winter tires, I noticed theyre more common in higher profile tires.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Do you happen to know the tire sizes currently on your car? With the older model there were different sizes available from the factory depending which wheels you chose.

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
394 Posts
Bought from tires-easy.com multiple times when I had my '08 451. Just ran a search on the site for my '17 453 ED/EQ snows.
Yields quite a few snow tire choices for 185/60 r15 rears .:D
Not anything for 165/65 r15 fronts though. o_O

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, my tires are as per factory 185/60/15 (rear) and 165/65/15 (front).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The size that seems to be the problem is 165/65/15. Literally no winter tires in that size.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could I buy 4 of the same size tires as are recommended for rear? I found Blizzak WS80 185/60/15. Could I get 4 of them instead of having a different size in the front?

·
Registered
247 Posts
The only Staggered winter tire setup I have found using the same brand and preserving the 20mm width difference between front and rear were Nokians from Discount Tire.

There will be no recommended winter tires for the Smart because winter tires are sold in sets of four, and Smarts run staggered setups for safety.
The 453's TCS is pickier than the 450 and 451; I would not recommend a '4 square' winter tire setup on it.

I explain more in this post: Snow tire size recommendation

·
Registered
18 Posts
I looked on Tire Rack before posting this question. They have only 1 option - Continental (with no reviews of that tire model) - and expensive.
Continentals are great tires. I specifically chose those for my BMW X3….smooth ride, and quiet. Wish I could get them for my 2005 Smartie.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
394 Posts
Helga, if you have any local tire shops nearby, they can be highly competitive and will do their very best to find what you need. Especially the non-chain owners can be an excellent source of info. 😥Unfortunately, if you show up for a quote, you might (sadly) want a male person to do the talking. Over-the-phone and female request for prices may be higher. Especially in the chain stores. :cautious:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts