Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All

Well I bit the bullet and ordered wheels and snow tires today (even though it's 85 outside and sunny).

I got them from here http://www.flyingtiger.ca/home.html everyone says Eddy is a good guy and people buy from him.

Originally it was $800 + $80 shipping for 4 steel rims and 4 snow tires (mounted and balanced), then a promo went out for free shipping (10% savings was all it took for me).

THEN When I paid via Pay Pal, the $800 was in Ca$ so it ended up being $771 USD for the set.

On a side note I'll now have a spare tire (it is said to use the front tire as the spare because the front will fit on the back but the back will not fit on the front)

If these cars actually hit the US in the first quarter of 08 I hope the dealers are stocked with snow tires and stuff for those that live in the cold and snowy states. I can't see someone picking up this car in Nebraska in February with the stock tires :eek:

ASM

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Tires/Snow Tires

The following review was found on The Tire Rack website for the Continental ContiEcoContact EP:

"2005 Mercedes-Benz smart fortwo
Miles driven on tires: 18,000
Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Driving Style: Average

"The only cars that I know that use these tires are the smart fortwo, so if you’re looking for these tires, then you probably own a smart! If you have the 'pulse' or 'passion' models, you already have these. If you have the 'pure' model though, you’ll find that these Continentals are an upgrade over the stock tires, especially due to the aggressive front tire pattern which are grippier in side wind situations. Interesting factoid: the front and rear tread patterns are quite different. These tires are best described as summer tires, since they have no sipes to speak of, and the rubber gets very hard (and less grippy) as the temperature approaches and dips below freezing. It also lacks the 'M S' marking on the sidewall. For winter use, I highly recommend the ContiWinterContact TS760 or Bridgestone Blizzak LM-18.
--Review submitted: 2007-07-11"

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Conti Winter Contact mounted on steelies

The heading says it all (from the quoting e-mail)

I knew the difference and made sure I was getting ContiWinterContact tires.

ASM

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi...well it is now 8 months since you got the snows. How did they handle the winter. What brand are they. Not sure if I understood if the snows matched the original sizes or if you ran the same size snows on all wheels. I should get my Smart this fall and here in northern Minnesota winter traction is very important.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts