Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that I'll be going on a 2,000+ mile trip in my smart fortwo soon and I'm wondering if the battery is getting a bit old or not. I got my smart 5 years ago and have never had to change the battery.

So how long does a car battery last?

Bob Diaz

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,973 Posts
It appears that I'll be going on a 2,000+ mile trip in my smart fortwo soon and I'm wondering if the battery is getting a bit old or not. I got my smart 5 years ago and have never had to change the battery.

Many variables - age, weather, garaged etc? You are in the battery friendly environs of CA but age and the sometimes finicky smart electrical demands could bite you?

With a 2,000 mile trip ahead of you, $150ish for a new battery is insurance I'd buy.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm in a much more severe climate and I'm pretty sure my 2008 is still on the original battery (can't speak for what the previous owner did, but I've now gone as many km as the original owner did from new, and I haven't changed it).

BUT ... My car lives in the garage overnight on cold nights, because I don't trust it for starting below about -10 C! I can hear that it's cranking slower.

It will be getting either a new battery, or a new car, before next winter.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
up here in Minnesota it gets pretty cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. We can get both extremes from -30 below to above 100 at times. My vehicles all sit outside every day and I don't have too much trouble with hard starts or dead batteries. The longest I had a battery last was 8 years on my Expedition, Shortest was 3 years on my S15 Jimmy. Driving them each day seems to make a big difference.

Cheap insurance is to put a good name brand battery in there and you should be good for a minimum of 3-5 years unless it sits for a few months without a battery tender on them. If you are concerned, replace it and be done with it.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Bob,

We know you are the resident "bean counter" :p

But come on, 5 years.......change the battery before the trip and save yourself a LOT of heart ache :D

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
I changed out my battery at 5 1/2 years. Living on borrowed time. Heat will kill a battery before cold.
I've been on a couple camping trips and my battery went dead during the summertime. I think the batteries in smart cars last longer because they're away from a heat source. Buy yourself a new battery so you're not stranded someplace you can get a smart battery at any auto supply store

·
Registered
763 Posts
Your battery doesn't owe you anything at this point, so I agree on replacing it. I ran mine from the end of June 2008 when I got my passion until last autumn. That was 6 years plus and about 47,000 miles. Parked outside part of that time (including winters) but now in garage as much as I can. Warm (but not extreme) summers but some pretty severe winters (-14 F last year and Cleveland just recorded the coldest February ever - average temperatures for the full month).

I missed the early battery problems some of the 2008s had. So, this was the battery installed at the factory. (Others had their batteries replaced a few months after the cars were out.)

My experience with the smart battery has been good - this is not the only car I've had longer than 5-6 years. Given the electronics in this car (and most cars now), battery performance is vital - not just SLI. The car may start fine, but if the battery isn't doing its full job, it starts to show up in the performance of the smart. I've seen it described here and I was seeing some odd behaviour myself just before my battery was done. First time it didn't start the temperature was -14 F. I charged it up and things were fine for many months. The next time it didn't start, I charged it and drove over the the parts store and bought a new battery.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Hi Bob, I'm an 1173'er. Yeah I'm one of those men who ordered his on the very first day smart's ordering website went live in USA on 3-19-2007 (coming up on 8 years now) So the original battery in mine was one of the oldest in the country.

That original battery lasted until late 2013 and had over 50,000 miles on it. In that time; the battery got accidentally drained dead at least 3 times. I don't know if that helps.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Hard to say, my Mercedes B-Class has its original battery in its eighth year and after 187,000 km (116K miles). Like the smart, the battery lives inside the cabin. The car is never garaged (only my smart and Peugeot get garage space). We just had a week's vacation in the Canadian Rockies with it and it started just fine at minus 15C.

I'd go without a second thought. You can always get a battery during the trip if it goes funky.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Batteries last until they die. I had a battery I left in a Chevy pickup for 8 years as an experiment. At that point I got tired of waiting for it to surprise me and replaced it one fall day before a cold spell. Another battery I put in my sister's truck lasted 1-1/2 years and worked fine until suddenly it would not start the truck. It failed internally with a open circuit.

Average life seems to be 4 to 5 years. A battery is relatively cheap and is certainly cheaper than a battery and a tow bill together, not to mention time lost and inconvenience.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm on the fence with this too...Mine is 6 years old and will be replaced this spring with a NAPA group 47 AGM battery . It's no fun being stranded anywhere with a dead car (Don't ask me how I know )

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,739 Posts
I will have had my '09 smart six years this May. I changed out my battery at the four year mark. I was not having any issues, but I did not want to be caught in a dead battery situation. I park my smart backed into my garage and very close to the wall on the right side so I have plenty of room for other cars. It would have been very difficult to access the battery parked in that position. A good battery is cheap insurance in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
As others have said, a new battery is cheap insurance. I replaced my '08's original battery in the fall of 2013. I wasn't having issues, but didn't want to find it dead on a cold winter day.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,973 Posts
As others have said, a new battery is cheap insurance.
The electronics of a smart can be very particular.

Our 2008 cabrio had an intermittent passenger side power window issue that had me chasing a ghost (switches, SAM & relays)? Replaced the 5 year old OEM (M-B upgraded) Power Volt battery with a new NAPA, no more ghost!

·
Registered
800 Posts
The electronics of a smart can be very particular.

Our 2008 cabrio had an intermittent passenger side power window issue that had me chasing a ghost (switches, SAM & relays)? Replaced the 5 year old OEM (M-B upgraded) Power Volt battery with a new NAPA, no more ghost!
Mine had issues when I put the ignition bypass mod in. after I removed it, they worked fine. Go figure.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
My batt started sending warning signals about a month before it died.

AM start up would bring gear selector display slow to engage and light up proper positions (PRND).

Then one day... three bars of death. That was it. LOL A2Jack

·
Registered
103 Posts

Bob Diaz
I have two 2009 smarts and both have the original batteries.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts