Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Batteries last until they die. I had a battery I left in a Chevy pickup for 8 years as an experiment. At that point I got tired of waiting for it to surprise me and replaced it one fall day before a cold spell. Another battery I put in my sister's truck lasted 1-1/2 years and worked fine until suddenly it would not start the truck. It failed internally with a open circuit.

Average life seems to be 4 to 5 years. A battery is relatively cheap and is certainly cheaper than a battery and a tow bill together, not to mention time lost and inconvenience.
I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler that I bought new; it had the original battery in it until last summer (2014).

I convinced myself that it was the best battery ever made, and then one day last summer all I got was click, click, click when I turned the key. Piece O crap battery.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
The original battery in my 2008 lasted seven years, and dyed on a cold day in Jan. Should have replaced it after six.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My batt started sending warning signals about a month before it died.

AM start up would bring gear selector display slow to engage and light up proper positions (PRND).

Then one day... three bars of death. That was it. LOL A2Jack
I agree on the "signals." It wasn't clear they were signals, nor was it clear that it was battery related, but when I changed my battery, the little quirks appear to have disappeared. But then, I would swear the car runs better after it is washed. . . which I've always ascribed to the vehicle having a better self image and, therefore, more positive energy. But, seriously, the battery issues do seem to manifest in other functions early as the power levels delivered to the components start to experience some fluctuation or inconsistency. If the systems are that sensitive, why not build some kind of regulator circuit into the system that won't let the components see those variables? Or, at least, provide a warning.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2009 Passion Brabus that went into service May of 2009. I just changed my battery (hadn't failed yet) but I didn't want to have it fail when I needed it most. I do have a PLX Kiwi plugged into the OBDII port and always monitor the battery voltage and the reason I decided to replace the battery is that Texas heat definitely affects battery life and summer is approaching. The first thing in the morning voltage had gradually dropped to around 12V and would momentarily drop into the 10-11V range when starting. It now show around 12.5 first thing in the morning and the voltage only drops to 11.5 while starting. I consider the longer life of my battery (almost 6 years) to benefit from being garaged every nite and under shelter during the day.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
2008 with original battery

My 2008 still has its original battery; IIRC. The next time I take it for servicing, I will inquire about a new battery. :nerd:

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,733 Posts
I congratulate you brave souls that gamble on a six or seven year old battery. In my younger days, I my have done that also, but I am now old and cautious and too lazy to be caught out with a dead battery that is not easy to access.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Our 450 was bought in 2007 in Guadalajara and we drove it until we left Mexico in October of 2014; almost exactly seven years. However, the car was made in 2006 and the battery may have been made that year, or even earlier.
Do we dare return to our Mexican home town?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just replaced the battery in my 1980 Vanagon after 11 years, It was a Sears Die hard.The battery was still good but had slowed turning the engine over. During the winter I never drove the Vanagon but maintain the battery to a trickle charger. My smart battery is over 6 yrs old and still going strong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it makes you feel better. I have 2009 with 40k and I just changed my battery out before it was needed.
I like to do my own work and Murphy law says it break when you most need it. Buy now pay less now.
Remember battery have a timer and this timer can go off any time after 5 years. Cold or hot or forgetting turn off something can shorten its life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add my battery experience for people still pondering the Smart car battery life. My 2013 Passion is still running with the original battery after 8 years and over 110,000 miles. It sits outside in the frequent rain and occasional snow of the northwest. It was just serviced by the dealer last month which included battery inspection and testing. I would think the Mercedes dealer would have been more than happy to suggest they replace my battery if they thought I might need it. They marked it all as "passed".

·
Registered
532 Posts
^ I agree.
I have had experience with batteries lasting 5 years at the most while in service with the longest lasting one being a die hard marine battery I put in my 79 Chrysler cordoba that didn’t see much driving that went ten years before giving up the ghost.
I put a new battery in my 09 cabrio after I got it only to have that battery go bad due to sitting while the car was at my local dealer for engine work.
Thankfully Walmart replaced it(though they left both the drain hose and vent hose off which ticked me off but oh well live and learn)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wish it did.
I’ve got asked that so many times I lost count.
Sadly it’s got the cloth seats.
They need reupholstering though so I may have them done in leather.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I likely will so I can say yes when asked.
It’s going to depend on price.
I want to get my Miata engine swap done first before I start on the cordoba(already had a guy ask on the cordoba’s factory engine and transmission)
I want to do something that can hold up to boost(either turbo or supercharger) when I do the cordoba.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts