Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know that plastic molded piece that covers the mechanism that raises/lowers the cabrio roof?

Well, I accidentally knocked mine loose a few days ago and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get it back on securely. I can get it so it LOOKS right, but if I hit a bump it pops back off.

What should I be doing that I obviously am not?

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I pressed the whole switch unit through once when I went for a panic close of the roof. In my panic I hit it too hard.

Is that the piece you're talking about? Mine punched out into the console and I had to fish it out. But, I snapped it into place and it has been fine since.

Maybe you somehow broke the tabs (?) that hold it into place.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The piece I'm talking about is black molded plastic, behind the passenger seat. It covers the 'gears' that raise and lower the roof and/or back hatch thingy.

As far as I can tell none of the tabs are broken, but it's awkward trying to get into the cargo area enough to really see clearly; I don't want to put any serious weight onto the tailgate.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
The piece I'm talking about is black molded plastic, behind the passenger seat. It covers the 'gears' that raise and lower the roof and/or back hatch thingy.

As far as I can tell none of the tabs are broken, but it's awkward trying to get into the cargo area enough to really see clearly; I don't want to put any serious weight onto the tailgate.
I'm about 200 lbs and I sit on the tail gate all the time. It's tougher than it looks:D!

That piece came loose when I lowered the top with some cargo in the back. I had to straighten out a tab and then pop it back into place. It's been fine since - go ahead and sit on the tailgate.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts