Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a couple of die cast toy cars the other day, one is the original Fiat 500 and the other a smart 451. The picture below doesn't capture it but the Fiat looks way smaller than the smart. I even double-checked and both are 1/24 scale.

The Fiat is 117" L x 52" W x 52" H, while the smart is 106" L x 61" W x 61" H. So both are square, with Height = Width, the smart being wider and taller by 9". The Fiat is longer by 11". But that 9" in height makes a huge difference, the toy smart looms over the Fiat.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Tire

The new Fiat 500's are bigger all round than the original, at 140" L x 64" W x 58" H.

I think it's the height that makes the smart so comfortable for me. My old back doesn't like to scrunch down in a low car any more!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have owned the 500, the 850 and the 126 which is a square version of the 500.

If I could find one at sensible money I would not have a Smart but they are way outside my price bracket now.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,106 Posts
And then there is the Isetta…

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Been a fan of small cars all my life (currently 72). My first car was a Fiat 500 cabriolet back in the 60's. Loved my Honda 600 coupe the best. Was my rally car in the "seat of your pants category". Was late for every check point even with the pedal to the metal. But was enjoyable to see others as myself (6'1") and my navigator (6'3") climb out of the car.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I was looking at a couple of die cast toy cars the other day, one is the original Fiat 500 and the other a smart 451. .....
The Fiat is longer by 11". But that 9" in height makes a huge difference,

I think it's the height that makes the smart so comfortable for me. My old back doesn't like to scrunch down in a low car any more!
It is the height for me too. The biggest reason I sold my Chevy Volt plug in hybrid an otherwise perfect car for a Buick SUV.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Oh my god, that's Harvey our 1970 600 coupe. It was the perfect car! We owned one long enough to have to rebuild the engine. The crank was a motorcycle type which makes sense since the entire engine was basically a motorcycle engine to begin with. I think I even still have the ring compressor tool needed for the result. At the time I had to order all the parts directly from Honda in Japan. Unfortunately the salt on Maine roads rusted Harvey up past the door handles and he had to go to the parts yard.

Let’s not for this tiny little 2 cylinder Honda either.

View attachment 68860

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Had one of the Honda 600 sedans pictured above as well. But no where near as much fun as Harvey! Back in the 70s we didn't worry about car safety as much as today that's for sure. However, there wasn't cell phones and texting and as many morons behind the wheel!

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
…yeah those micro cars are tiny but they are also tall…
…the bottom of the door mirror of the smart is where the top of the windshield of my 818 is …when parked next to a pickup I’m looking at lug nuts..

jetfuel….nuts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way, a new book on small cars was just published. The Big Book of Tiny Cars .
Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Hood

It covers all the tiny cars I ever heard of and many more, from Cyclecars of the early 1900's to today's Fiat, Mini and upcoming Microlino and Citroen Ami. Each car gets only a page or so, including our smart, so only buy if you have a general interest in small cars. Lots of color photos.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,897 Posts
In 1971, I bought my wife a new Honda N600 just like the silver one posted. I also bought a Honda CB750 for me at the same time. The cycle actually cost a few dollars more than the car.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I remember a Honda z600 sitting in an Oldsmobile showroom. I grabbed the front bumper an could flex it with my hands.
Joked with the salesman, that if it were Bronze instead of yellow, they could slap handles on and carry it the the grave.
I was driving a 19 foot 1972 Chrysler 2door Newport with a 400 ci v8.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts