Smart Car of America Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
…big e…all 3 are are manufactured by Factory Five Racing…
…the green one is a MK IV…based component car is a Mustang…not called a cobra ‘cause drunk man Carroll got upset that the replicas were beating his @$$ in competition so he took them to court…the black is a GTM based component Corvette…
..the white is an 818S built from a Subaru WRX…

jetfuel…the 818 owner

·
Registered
905 Posts
I’ve had people say I wouldn’t drive something like this you would get squished like a big.
I counter back with the safety ratings and they don’t say anything afterwards.
Honestly I think they automatically think because it’s a small car it’s automatically a death trap.

jet you could’ve fooled me with the cobra replica that’s for sure and I’ve seen a real Shelby cobra.(they did a good job on it I’ll say)
I would’ve never guessed the others was based on a corvette or wrx (definitely great work)

·
Super Moderator
17,864 Posts
Late to the party, but Japan's kei cars make Smarts look huge! Weird thing is that both the Suzuki Every and the Honda Beat are basically just as roomy as a Smart.

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

I guess a lot of that is because your legs are the crumple zones in either of those cars. I mean, the Beat's windshield wobbles on bumps! lol

Reactions: jmartinsmart

·
Registered
905 Posts
Miss Mercedes the Suzuki van gives me vw bus vibes with the way the front looks(still a neat little vehicle)
Likely they are meant for city use and designed to take the crash forces of such crashes(I could be wrong on that but that’s my take on it)
Also keep in mind there are some places that tax vehicles so the smaller size makes them cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
17,864 Posts
Yep yep, kei cars are Japan's equivalent of an A segment or "city car" like our Smarts. But they are highway legal and do see some highway action out in Japan.

The Beat will go 85 mph before running out of steam. It was designed to be a pocket-sized sports car. There are 64 ponies on tap and 100 kph on the speedometer feels like 100 mph. o_O

The Every hits the rev limiter at 70 mph. It has low gearing and four-wheel-drive; basically something you can use on the farm on Monday then take to the city on Saturday. 1st gear is basically a crawler gear that tops out at like 10 mph. The gearing is so low that you forget you have just 51 hp with a tiny turbo.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
It doesn't run out of steam. In Japan kei vehicles are governed to that top speed.
I've driven and ridden in two Kei cars here in Las Vegas that have had the governor speed restrictor disabled. We were approaching
100 mph verified via two gps units. Then we backed off not feeling safe. I do think I was at their limits. I know I was at mine.
You have to realize these cars are about 20 years old
Quite hellish for me to extricate myself from them. They did not ride well at all.
Very go cart like.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Jo is right on the governer on the speed.
A lot of countries overseas won’t allow certain vehicles on certain roads(for example the autobahn) due to speed capability mechanically to prevent people from trying to take them out there and burning up the engines in them.
There is a difference in being governed and actually running out of grunt(one the vehicle will only go up to that speed and no higher the other the vehicle struggles to sustain said speed)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Kind of interesting, In Japan registration fees go up as your car gets older. Encouraging people to get rid of their old cars.
If that doesn't get you, I can assure you the tolls may!....

4 days of driving, going into Tokyo from Odawara, the last of which was going to a far away airport to come home, $200+ USD in tolls...

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is the Datsun a 1600 or 2000? I love your collection of neat cars.
It's a '69 1600. I actually traded it for my seldom-used '69 Corvair 500. Now that guy has the Corvair listed for $12.5k. My Datsun is rough, I'd say he got the better end of the deal. But thanks for the compliment, I too enjoy my unique collection of cars!

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

61 - 80 of 86 Posts