Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 passion I bought late year . It had 10,000 miles on it . The oil was changed every 6 months. Not by miles. As for as I know it has never been back to the dealership for service. The closest place I have found for software updates is 500 miles away. Is there anyway to download the updates. Starting to get shifting into reverse problems. The cat has 15,000 on it now ?

·
Super Moderator
29,352 Posts
It rakes a Mercedes STAR machine (or clone) with current smart software to update the 451. Can't be done via OTA or downloads. It may be that a local shop that does Mercedes work and has a STAR machine could get the needed software...but that's not a certainty. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It rakes a Mercedes STAR machine (or clone) with current smart software to update the 451. Can't be done via OTA or downloads. It may be that a local shop that does Mercedes work and has a STAR machine could get the needed software...but that's not a Sorry about the spelling.
It rakes a Mercedes STAR machine (or clone) with current smart software to update the 451. Can't be done via OTA or downloads. It may be that a local shop that does Mercedes work and has a STAR machine could get the needed software...but that's not a certainty. :)
Thanks for the information. I live in a very small town just two smarts as for as I know. May have to trailer it to Dallas. Next question can I read it with a scan tool and see what updates it has if any. Sorry about the spelling fat fingers on a iPhone.

·
Super Moderator
29,352 Posts
I don't believe even a Mercedes-specific scanner will give you software info but others may have better knowledge on this. :)

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't know where you live, but you mentioned going to Dallas. Smart Madness has a second location in Spicewood, Tx. about 230 miles south of Dallas. They are not a dealer, but a parts and accessory dealer and installer. They should have the scanners to sort your transmission. Good luck with your repairs.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There is a way to check on our cars if our tranny software is the updated version, but I can't remember how it went. Some people here might remember...

·
Registered
324 Posts
The first software update for the tranny had to do with the car not always going into reverse and moving. If your not having that problem there is no reason to update. It was original fixed by removing the tranny and re-lubing the clutch disk and shaft. I have a friend with an 08 that has never had the problem and his car has never been to a dealership.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
The was a factory recall, on my 2008 transmission software update, affected smoother shift points. There was another one, for the operation of the paddle shifters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first software update for the tranny had to do with the car not always going into reverse and moving. If your not having that problem there is no reason to update. It was original fixed by removing the tranny and re-lubing the clutch disk and shaft. I have a friend with an 08 that has never had the problem and his car has never been to a dealership.
That is what I’m getting now . Just started.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts