Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is currently at the dealer for service, i.e. annual battery check. I told the service adviser that I also wanted any software updates to be done. He told me that software updates are only done if the customer is having issues with a particular system. That surprised me. I would have thought that any software updates would be considered an improvement and would/should be done automatically. He said that there were many, many updates available for the various systems on the car and that Smart would not pay to have them done under warranty unless there was a specific problem. Lucky I have no problems that I know of, but his answer still surprised me.

Anyone else experience this?

Len
2014 EV

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
With regard to software updates, sounds like the smartUSA party line.

I use a slightly different approach - minimize the PAID work that I authorize and "request" that they hook it up to the Star Diagnostic computer to make certain there are no new updates. Sometimes just a little cashish can grease the skids . . .

As with all things smart - sometimes you are the bug and other times THE WINDSHIELD!
YMMV!

·
Registered
88 Posts
At 10K miles my 2015 Smart ED had software update as part if inspection... see no better / different behavior, same as before update.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
A lot of times there isn't really any NOTICEABLE change with a software update (except for things like improper fuel gauge readout, adjusted transmission shift timing, etc...). Think the majority are more of a "This COULD happen..." deal.

But i have to say it's odd that the dealership told you they only do updates if you're having problems. I've never had that happen with a dealership. Yes, sometimes I'd ask them to do so, and they wouldn't.... or they'd say they always hook it up to check if there are any updates available for my car when a car is brought in for service, but never reflected that on the service paperwork..... but i've never had a dealership just flat out tell me "No" because I wasn't having a particular issue.

·
Super Moderator
28,957 Posts
Just my .02,but there's a reason smart distributes the updates. I can't understand why a dealer wouldn't check for and install updates any time they have a car (ED or ICE) in for service... :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just my .02,but there's a reason smart distributes the updates. I can't understand why a dealer wouldn't check for and install updates any time they have a car (ED or ICE) in for service... :shrug:
That was my thought too, thus why I asked. I know that the dealer checks the VMI for any recalls or service campaigns, but I'm not sure the VMI indicates the latest software updates, but there obviously is something that would tell them that. My car has been doing great, so I didn't push the issue too much.

Len
2014 EV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts