1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive
12,300 miles
Excellent condition, no accidents

This could be the perfect third car for a younger member of your family — as long as they don’t mind a little attention. We use it for trips to the airport, as there is free charging there, and suitcases fit fine. It’s also much safer than many pickups, as it’s loaded with airbags and a sturdy frame. Sure, the 68 mile range, and 78mph top speed are nothing to brag about, but most of us don’t drive even half that distance in a day, and it’s often just one person in the car anyway. Charging stations become more plentiful every day — though it can be fully charged overnight on a house 120v outlet

Here’s what you can enjoy with this model:
Heated cloth seats
Air conditioning
INSTANT Heat from an electric heater
Heated power mirrors
Rear wiper
Power windows
LED headlights
LED daytime running lights
Panoramic roof with sunshade
Remote entry
Rear cargo cover
Charging cable tucked into rear tailgate
ABS brakes
Traction and Stability control
Rain-sensing wipers
Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS)
Cabin and battery pre-heating
Weathertec, or Carpeted floor mats (have both)
Custom windshield sun blocker (Weathertec)
Ambient interior lighting
Oh, and a fair amount of curiosity from folks who see it whizz past!

I have two full sets of summer and winter wheels and tires. The winter continental tire/wheel/TPMS combination are available for a separate cost. It’s impressive in the snow, for such a small vehicle.

I have a clean title, in hand, and no lien. Windshield has no blemishes. I’ve added mud flaps and clear 3m protective film to the headlights. The brake fluid was flushed recently, and the separate 12v automotive batter(for interior lights etc) was replaced with one from Mercedes. Parts are readily available online, and you can check the condition of the battery yourself, with a laptop and a cable.

If you need some assistance transporting out of state, I might be able to help, for the right price, as I have an SUV that can tow a U-haul car hauler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car is still available. Address is Burlington, VT 05408. I've found that by being patient, and flexible with dates, you can find shippers (who seem anxious to get our business) who can provide reasonable rates. The instant quotes you see on some sites are way overpriced, in comparison.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is the Primary battery on a Lease plan or owned? I will have to look, but can the primary battery be replaced from an Auto Parts store or is it Merceds only?

·
Super Moderator
1,341 Posts
The 12v battery can be replaced with a battery from any of the McParts stores, although there have been some reports of having to make a few minor adjustments to make it fit. My plan is to replace it with a Mercedes battery, part #451-982-00-08, MSRP about $170.

The HV battery at this point is a dealer only item AFAIK. Cost of about $10K.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 17,000 miles

·
Registered
23 Posts
$10K, Ouch. I have a 2015 ICE just at 40K, which has been very good to me. I have been hankering to move to EV for a while and have just started looking into them. Maintenance is the issue I see as MB fades away. Currently my MB Smart dealer is 45 minutes away. But if they go, I am not sure what I will do for Service or parts.

In my youth I use to tear down real engines and over haul them. Chevy 454 or Dodge 318s were my thing, then I got into restoration of MG Migets. That was a hoot.

Now at 69 I am not so sure I want to tool up and learn the service of a SMART. But, I just might. I was thinking that if I did an EV would be a good project. Fits into my Retired Electrical Engineering background as well.

Thanx for the answers, I will be reading around and touch back with you. I will be in Burlington in August, who knows, you may still have it.

Later, George
2015 Pure, 40K

·
Super Moderator
1,341 Posts
I'm a DIY guy and as I am getting older, it isn't nearly the "fun" it used to be. However, the maintenance on the EV is so easy and almost non-existent. Take a look in the sticky's above for the maintenance sheets. You can do it!!! My only concern would be buying a used EV and taking a chance on the battery. In my case the two Smarts I've got have been the best cars I've ever had all things considered.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 17,000 miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Currently under deposit. To address the question about the battery, I took no chances and replaced the 12v battery under the floor with a Mercedes unit - the exact part number. After 4 or 5 years, in the northeast, I don't expect batteries to perform well -- it's cheap insurance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.