Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smart cars are a novelty here in Parkersburg W.Va, there just aren't many. I didn't want to go out of town to purchase one so I bought a 2011 orphan and I have been upgrading it from Pure trim to Passion one option at a time. The one option it didn't have was the panoramic roof. So after reading all I could on posts here I decided to take the plunge and I ordered a used panoramic roof from "partmyride" and I'm determined to change it myself because the local windshield shop wouldn't touch it. I wondered if anyone else has tackled this project and would have any pointers for me.Like: What's the best way to "cut out" the old roof, a razor blade knife or a wire etc,.. and What should I purchase to seal it back in, silicone or mastic or something else? I intend to do a you tube videos of all my upgrades and will post the links here. Thanks.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took jwight's advice and ordered the smart car E22 roof adhesive kit for my roof replacement. I'm gonna look into some glazing tools for easier removal too. Thanks for all the replies, Smart car owners are the best.The replacement should be here in about 3 days and I will make a video of the replacement with all the trials and tribulations of roof replacement. Lonnie.

·
Banned
844 Posts
my smart pure is going on 8 years, the surface material is bubbling and peeling at the corners, i can get a slightly used panel on E-Bay for $350, but i'm tempted to just paint it with a textured sealing paint and be done with it. the front springs went a week ago, the new ones offer a slightly better ride :) i had my oil tested last oil change at 61,000 miles, the engine may outlive me :D i'm getting some kind of moisture leak, my luggage cover shows moisture after heavy rains. after 7+ years of being here, seeing tons of complaints for the panorama roofs, i'll stick with the solid roof.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Does the screen not help?
In my experience with a 2013 Passion having a panoroof and a 2016 w/o one, yes, the car interior will heat up more and faster. The solid roof has a thin layer of something under the headliner that provides a small degree of insulation. While I thought the panoroof was neat, I don’t miss it in my 2016 and am basically glad they omitted it in the 2016 Passion. After a bit, I rarely pulled the screen back to view the sky in my 2013.

·
Registered
120 Posts
In my experience with a 2013 Passion having a panoroof and a 2016 w/o one, yes, the car interior will heat up more and faster. The solid roof has a thin layer of something under the headliner that provides a small degree of insulation. While I thought the panoroof was neat, I don’t miss it in my 2016 and am basically glad they omitted it in the 2016 Passion. After a bit, I rarely pulled the screen back to view the sky in my 2013.
Much the same here, I rarely open the screen. It's a novelty at best, plus when the panoroof gets a few years on it the crazing detracts from the marginal view.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts