Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Very nice !! My wife’s 451 has the side exhaust from Solo , it’s a beautifully crafted exhaust, and it sounds fantastic . I bet the center exhaust sounds even better .. I was actually contemplating taking the stock Brabus center exhaust off the 2015 451 Brabus and switching over to the Solo center . . Let me know what you think once it’s on

·
Registered
690 Posts
Please post up some pics once you get the Solo installed . It’s a fairly easy install . Hardest part is slipping off the mushroom end hangers from the rubber isolators . Be sure to use some straight liquid dish soap (don’t use WD 40 or other petroleum based products ) and wiggle a blunt screwdriver between the rubber and metal , squirt the soap inside the work the screwdriver around so soap is on all parts of the inside rubber / metal points . You can pull the mushroom through once it’s lubed .. the Solo system has no mushrooms which is nice and easy to install . They did their homework .

·
Registered
120 Posts
Smartmadness installed mine, its slightly crooked, and now periodically vibrates against the frame.....rather annoying at times. I cant see any way to adjust this. If you have any suggestions after your install, I would appreciate it!

Quick video of what it sounds like:

·
Registered
690 Posts
In defense of Smartmaddness , the part has me a little bafffled (no exhaust humor ) , is that the only solid mount is the two bolts to the exhaust manifold (header) . And those two bolts have no free play or wiggle room. The other mounting areas are the rubber isolating mounts , those are pretty much free play for motor vibrations. So if your having rubbing issues , is it something else? Possibly a air box rub ? Where is the exhaust rubbing at ? Can you see a metal to metal rub spot , if so , you may want to see what heat expansion is playing into this and decide on a remedy which may include bending a panel to allow some clearance. I know on my wifes side exit Solo , when I mounted it , there is a ton of space between any body part that may cause a noise, so I had no worry of interference. Post up a picture of the area That may be the culprit .

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, so far its not going good. Had to push inside because of dead battery....new optima 34R on the way. Cant push it onto ramps so I have a small delay. Later tonight......i didn't get a template for notch cut, anyone have it? Also need a right rear mudflap, broke it off doing donuts in the driveway.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well the removal and install went fairly smooth once I got car into garage...battery dead. Bought Optima Red Top 34R. Sprayed bolts with Aerokroil before I tried to remove any body panels. I did set car on jack stands for a little more room to work as well. Stuck a screwdriver into rubber hangers, rotated it around, grabbed it with water pump pliers and put my foot on exhaust and they came right off. The OEM bolt heads for the heat shield were pretty much toast but I did manage to get a 12 point socket on to loosen the top 2. The one on the flange piece was a different story. I tore the exhaust off and just left to top elbow/flange to work with. The flange bolts came right out, then I just moved it around with the heat shield still bolted to it so I could reach it with vice grips. I saw that the bolt was turning in the elbow, so the bolt was just rusted/stuck to the heat shield. Once i broke that free from the shield it came right out. Thank you Aerokroil! install was really easy. I also used high temp never-seez on all 5 bolts. I would have rather had the OEM star bolts for exhaust flange as box end/socket wont fit, only open end. Love the quality/looks/sound of this exhaust. Its kinda loud under power(I have intake tube as well), but the 6.5" Rockford components/JL Stealthbox/Rockford Power 400 amp takes care of that. All in all great product/project, happy with results. I would like the OEM center rear diffuser but I have nor been able to find out if it fits with dual tips.....my cuts need to be cleaned up. Anyhow I would not hesitate to buy another Solo product. Happy Holidays everyone.....be safe! Oh....and while doing this I decided to cook up some Salt n Vinegar drumsticks on the Big Green Egg, and a couple brewskis.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The rattle:

It’s because the muffler is hung from two points on a common axis. Have any exhaust shop add a third hanger. Bring it in with the rear valance removed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts