Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all Smart car owners: I am considering buying a 2017 smart car, but am worried about tipping because I live in the middle of a bunch of college-town bars and the ONLY place I can rent a parking space is in one many of the bar patrons use (with no security or access control. Thus there are herds of drunk college aged guys partying in it after the bars close. Also, there are hardly any smart cars in this city so it would really stand out. I know the phase was in 2014, but these guys never had a chance to tip one before and I just KNOW they would try! I need to trust that it CANNOT be tipped over, because I have to leave town often on weekends and no one responds to sirens around bars. Even if I were here to run down there, it would be too late. I parked a Del Sol there before, but had a security system that turned off the engine if they tried to start it -- and they did try! Great anti-theft device, but no help in preventing tipping.

I would install razor blades along the inside bottom all the way around if it was legal, but alas, it is not. It is so sad that I even have to worry about this. So I have three million-dollar questions for Smart car owners: 1) Did the Smart car manufacturers start making them differently to prevent tipping after the 2014 tipping phase? 2) Or can anyone think of another solution to the tipping problem that would prevent it before the damage occurs?

3) I also need it to be theft-free. So can you add the option (to the existing security system of having the engine turn off when the alarm goes off? Or can you add another manufacturer's security system with this option, if this could not be added. I need to know that the car CAN'T be stolen or tipped. I just LOVE this smart car, but need your help before I can buy it. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Given that smart owners who lose their key(s) have to go through hell typically to get a replacement, I wouldn't think that the smart is much of a candidate to hotwire.

As for tipping prevention, if you park in the same spot, maybe sink some eye bolts into the surface, and run chains through the rims.

Could always just put a sign in the window saying the owner has covid.

Do like the razor blade bit, but problematic. Someone did that to some election signs last year. Was very effective. At cutting up fingers. But then your smart would probably be destroyed.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
My daughter lived in Lawrence Kansas, Kansas University. No one bother the smart car. When I went to college, moving VW beetle were the thing.

Razor blades? Try a alarm system, and inboard camera’s.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
When I was at Iowa State, I had my car picked up and rotated 90 degrees in a parking spot by the local frats. No damage done. I bought a motorcycle security system which I added to the car myself. I used it for like a year, then I threw it away. It worked, but I basically bought it for peace of mind. I never had an issue going forward.

If you are that nervous about your property, then buy another car.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,910 Posts
And it could rain?

If you are truly AFRAID of youthful drunks tipping your smart - may want to rethink this purchase?

Lot’s of other things out there to lose sleep over...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Why lose sleep? Consider another vehicle. There plenty of small cars out there that wouldn't get a second glance, yet get just as good a gas mileage as a smart.

·
Super Moderator
17,594 Posts
To answer your questions:
1) The 2016+ models are a few inches wider than previous generations. This should make it harder to tip. That said, you can tip any car so long as you have enough people.

2) Park it inside. Theft, break-ins, and vandalism are sad downsides of outdoor parking that cannot be prevented. If someone wants to make you have a bad enough day, not even razor blades will stop them.

3) There is no such thing as a car that cannot be stolen. Old cars can be started with little more than a hammer and a screwdriver. Newer cars like our smarts can be started with tech like a key cloning device. Steering wheel clubs and alarms will shoo away bad thieves, but good ones will find a way.

Last month, a team of drug manufacturers (that's the rated-PG name) broke into and stole my rotted out Ford E-350 Power Stroke. Dead batteries, a locked diesel tank, and an immobilizer proved to be easy issues for them to overcome.

TL;DR - Theft and vandalism are facts of life. I wouldn't stress over what-ifs. Carry good insurance and you'll be prepared for the unknown.

·
Registered
978 Posts
To answer your questions:
1) The 2016+ models are a few inches wider than previous generations. This should make it harder to tip. That said, you can tip any car so long as you have enough people.

2) Park it inside. Theft, break-ins, and vandalism are sad downsides of outdoor parking that cannot be prevented. If someone wants to make you have a bad enough day, not even razor blades will stop them.

3) There is no such thing as a car that cannot be stolen. Old cars can be started with little more than a hammer and a screwdriver. Newer cars like our smarts can be started with tech like a key cloning device. Steering wheel clubs and alarms will shoo away bad thieves, but good ones will find a way.

Last month, a team of drug manufacturers (that's the rated-PG name) broke into and stole my rotted out Ford E-350 Power Stroke. Dead batteries, a locked diesel tank, and an immobilizer proved to be easy issues for them to overcome.

TL;DR - Theft and vandalism are facts of life. I wouldn't stress over what-ifs. Carry good insurance and you'll be prepared for the unknown.
I believe inside parking was not an option that was addressed in the pop's first post.
Copied and posted below.
Discussion Starter • #1 1 d ago

To all Smart car owners: I am considering buying a 2017 smart car, but am worried about tipping because I live in the middle of a bunch of college-town bars and the ONLY place I can rent a parking space is in one many of the bar patrons use (with no security or access control.

While you are absolutely correct any car can be turned over with enough people. There isn't any novelty in turning over a Chevy or Ford like there is turning over a dorky looking (to a bunch of drunk dudes) smart. Hence that argument falls flat. I'll bet there are more none running 20 year old Cummins ram or power stroke Ford's stolen than smart cars.

·
Super Moderator
17,594 Posts
I believe inside parking was not an option that was addressed in the pop's first post.

[...]

While you are absolutely correct any car can be turned over with enough people. There isn't any novelty in turning over a Chevy or Ford like there is turning over a dorky looking (to a bunch of drunk dudes) smart. Hence that argument falls flat. I'll bet there are more none running 20 year old Cummins ram or power stroke Ford's stolen than smart cars.
Perhaps I should clarify. I'm saying that their requirements cannot be met (because parking indoors isn't an option) and instead of worrying about it, just carry good insurance and enjoy the car.

My 2012 has taken its fair share of eggs, attempted tippings, paintballs, graffiti, and even a bullet. My friends with Miatas, Fiat 500s, and Beetles all say that's just part of owning an outwardly quirky car in an urban area or college.

My example about the van is only illustrating how anything can get stolen, even a vehicle that you'd think nobody would want. The cops found the theft so unbelievable (witness reports say that it took them over an hour to get it started) that they put me into an interrogation room and tried to see if I was secretly part of the crew. Someone on one of the other US smart groups I'm in recently experienced a theft, so it can happen if you're unlucky enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All the tips I saw (3-4) were in SF area and on back window in early 20-teens. If there is a place where you can park backed up to something that would make it harder.

·
Registered
44 Posts
To all Smart car owners: I am considering buying a 2017 smart car, but am worried about tipping because I live in the middle of a bunch of college-town bars and the ONLY place I can rent a parking space is in one many of the bar patrons use (with no security or access control. Thus there are herds of drunk college aged guys partying in it after the bars close. Also, there are hardly any smart cars in this city so it would really stand out. I know the phase was in 2014, but these guys never had a chance to tip one before and I just KNOW they would try! I need to trust that it CANNOT be tipped over, because I have to leave town often on weekends and no one responds to sirens around bars. Even if I were here to run down there, it would be too late. I parked a Del Sol there before, but had a security system that turned off the engine if they tried to start it -- and they did try! Great anti-theft device, but no help in preventing tipping.

I would install razor blades along the inside bottom all the way around if it was legal, but alas, it is not. It is so sad that I even have to worry about this. So I have three million-dollar questions for Smart car owners: 1) Did the Smart car manufacturers start making them differently to prevent tipping after the 2014 tipping phase? 2) Or can anyone think of another solution to the tipping problem that would prevent it before the damage occurs?

3) I also need it to be theft-free. So can you add the option (to the existing security system of having the engine turn off when the alarm goes off? Or can you add another manufacturer's security system with this option, if this could not be added. I need to know that the car CAN'T be stolen or tipped. I just LOVE this smart car, but need your help before I can buy it. Thank you so much!

Okay its been a while... but when I bought my Smart (2008) I thought I check the alarm system box: I didn’t... so I had to find a alarm system for my Smart and found the Hornet system because it used the original key and I could add stuff to the system.... like voice mod and tilt sensor. I know they don’t make that brand alarm anymore but it is owned by Python & Viper. Attachments: Directed Electronics. My car screams bloody murder!!!! if you are: too close, bump it, put your hand through the open window or try and tip it. And I think the newer models of Viper get sent signals directly to your phone or key fob that your alarm is going off. I live in an apartment and my neighbors just love being harassed by my loud mouth car. The dog even looks out the window when she hears it telling people “Stand back!!!” I had it installed by Custom Sound... but bought all the parts to the party myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Okay its been a while... but when I bought my Smart (2008) I thought I check the alarm system box: I didn’t... so I had to find a alarm system for my Smart and found the Hornet system because it used the original key and I could add stuff to the system.... like voice mod and tilt sensor. I know they don’t make that brand alarm anymore but it is owned by Python & Viper. Attachments: Directed Electronics. My car screams bloody murder!!!! if you are: too close, bump it, put your hand through the open window or try and tip it. And I think the newer models of Viper get sent signals directly to your phone or key fob that your alarm is going off. I live in an apartment and my neighbors just love being harassed by my loud mouth car. The dog even looks out the window when she hears it telling people “Stand back!!!” I had it installed by Custom Sound... but bought all the parts to the party myself.
Plus there are cameras that you can add too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts