Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dropped my 2017 car for the 10000 mile service in Indianapolis, about 1 1/2 hours from where I live.

Their Smart Dealership has closed, now selling MB trucks. (Odd that they sent no notice to their Smart customers!) Tyler, their Smart manager, now deals with trucks.

The service rep told me that the Louisville Smart Dealer has closed. (He claimed it closed around 2 years ago, but I was dealing with them for a car last fall. When I said this he corrected his story and said that the sales had recently closed, and that they stopped servicing Smarts 2 years ago. I asked about Cincinnati, and he hesitated then said that the they are about to close.

Additionally, he indicated that Smart would not send them any electric vehicles, thus forcing them to close. That they are only sending vehicles to the coasts.

I take all these details with a grain of salt, and I'm seeking confirmation, about Louisville, Cincinnati, and the distribution of Electric cars by Smart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I just bought a smart and before I did I called our local Smart/MB and they said they would definitely service my car. Bought one over the weekend and today five days later they are closing Smart and are no longer going to service them and they have a 2017 in the showroom, any ideas?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Sharon122 (I saw from your other post that you are near OKC). My brother and his wife live near OKC. Their 2014 ICE smart (under warranty) needed the passenger rear axle replaced (oil leak) they made an appointment with OKC Benz. On the day they arrived, the service department had an axle in stock and replaced it while they went out and had lunch. I did not hear any mention of ceasing service for smart. This was two weeks ago.

There is an independent service provider for Mercedes in Edmond, OK - I believe they service smart cars out of warranty: Silver Star Imports.

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

·
Registered
146 Posts
This Is News !

Sharon,

Please share with us the location and name of your dealer.

I just returned home from a test drive here in Los Angeles and like you,
I recently inquired about Service at the Beverly Hills Smart Center. They are not selling the new 2017, but said that they will continue offering service.
I fear that it may be easier for former dealers to decline service than we may wish to believe.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Why would a Benz dealership not offer smart car service - they already have the tools and diagnostic equipment. If parts are needed, they can order them. It is still money, money, money.

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Why would a Benz dealership not offer smart car service - they already have the tools and diagnostic equipment. If parts are needed, they can order them. It is still money, money, money.

Not all M-B dealers carried the smart brand, so are not able to offer smart service. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mercedes of Nashville is no longer a smart dealer. I carried my car in for its 10,000 mile service last week and when I asked if they would continue servicing smarts my service adviser said he didn't know for sure, but that he thought they would at least continue to work on them while they were under warranty.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello All!

It is true that our sales network is readjusting to the new brand strategy, but all smart centers that were selling gasoline 2017 models will stay on board as service centers for the smart brand. You will be able to enjoy the same service, warranty work and parts availability as before the electric shift, even if your dealer opted out of selling the brand.

It is important to note that Mercedes-Benz dealers that were not smart centers to begin with cannot order smart parts.

If you have difficulties or questions about servicing your vehicle, please contact 1-800-367-6372.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I emailed my dealer this morning, asking about service and support for the local Smarts out and about that they have sold, or may have come in.

I was told that they will continue to support and service the Smart Cars.

The dealer service center is Prime MB of Scarborough Maine.

The way things are still in flux, I'll update if I run into anything different in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To echo smartAPM's post above...

Rallye Motors in Roslyn, Long Island is in the process of closing their Smart Center and just sold their last two gas models. According to their service representative I just dealt with, they will continue to service Smarts for at least the next four years. Basically for as long as the warranty service is active.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Now that we are enjoying "Official" reporting from an executive with Daimler
Benz, could we request a list of the names and locations of the smart dealers
who have chosen to continue as active smart centers, selling the 2017,
smart fortwo ed.

This would be extremely useful to us smart advocates, generally news worthy to
the EV community and recognition and advertisement for the remaining dealers.

Thank you !

·
Registered
560 Posts
I emailed my dealer this morning, asking about service and support for the local Smarts out and about that they have sold, or may have come in.

I was told that they will continue to support and service the Smart Cars.

The dealer service center is Prime MB of Scarborough Maine.

The way things are still in flux, I'll update if I run into anything different in the future.
Euro-Motorcars Mercedes and Former Smart dealer in Devon , PA , Their site shows no new Smart vehicles in their inventory , but will provide service and warranty work if needed. I have a new 2017 that hasn't even had its first service done , but I contacted the dealer and they said , no problem , we still provide service and parts .

·
Registered
30 Posts
I read in Automotive News that MB had asked which of the 85 Smart dealers wanted to keep selling the all-electric Smart line, and only 27 said yes. 58 had declined.
So, less than 1/3 of the current Smart dealers would continue to be Smart dealers.
The rest would sell their remaining inventory and provide service-only for existing Smart owners.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170814/OEM/170819916/smart-get-any-smaller

So, yes, I would like to know which 27 current Smart dealers will remain Smart dealers. I was hoping to get another one n a couple of years, down in Florida.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I read in Automotive News that MB had asked which of the 85 Smart dealers wanted to keep selling the all-electric Smart line, and only 27 said yes. 58 had declined.
So, less than 1/3 of the current Smart dealers would continue to be Smart dealers.
The rest would sell their remaining inventory and provide service-only for existing Smart owners.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170814/OEM/170819916/smart-get-any-smaller

So, yes, I would like to know which 27 current Smart dealers will remain Smart dealers. I was hoping to get another one n a couple of years, down in Florida.
That's 27 for right now. I'll bet more dropout the first year. Pretty much kills the brand here in the U.S.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hear that Only 12 dealers remain !

We are waiting for the Facts as will be reported by our Official Insider,
smartAPM.
I'm sure he is getting permission to release this critical information.

Thank you !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts