Smart Car of America Forum banner

Some people are idiots

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  ArthurRW 
#1 ·
Yesterday evening I was having dinner at an outdoor cafe.

My pink Hello Kitty smart ED was parked close by.

Many people walked up to her, looked her over, took pics, etc (very common)

One young couple took a few pics and then were entering the restaurant I was at.
I said HI and mentioned that the car they liked was my car.

The young man (18-20) asked "Where do you live? My girlfriend really likes your car. I'll come by your house some night and steal it."

He didn't look like he was joking?

WHY would you say something like this (even as a joke)?

I was able to convince him that would be a VERY bad idea.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I think a review of the TOS is needed by some people, use the link above, and paay attention to this section...

Prohibited Topics
The following topics and links are prohibited on Smart Car of America Forums: Religion (such as Proselytism), Death Penalty, Politics (such as Demagoguery, Partisanship), gun control, and sexually explicit material (even hinted). Suggesting the illegal use of firearms or harming another person are also prohibited.

#9 ·
Imo, you need not bring attention to yourself by engaging a conversation, unless they initiated. Being in or very near the car (ie: filling the tank) is another matter when engaging the curious public. This is not ment to be a mean statement, I see that you adore your car.

#10 ·
I have had many people ask if it is electric when they first came out in 2008, usually while I am filling with gas...

Even got pulled over before I had plates on it and was asked by the policeman if it was legal to drive down the highway..He asked what the top speed was and I replied whatever the speed limit is...He laughed and waved to me when I passed his speed trap setup for weeks.

The key is to not bring any attention to you or your car.

#15 ·
maybe he was showing off to his girlfriend, trying to impress her or something. Think about it, she wouldn't be able to drive it or even park anywhere as it would stick out and attract the same attention, police would spot it a mile away and know it was the stolen car. That being said, some thief's are not the brightest bulb on the tree... not to offend bulbs or trees...

My smart spider was a part of the annual Trunk or treat celebration back when we owned the store it was parked in front of, thus the spider webs and all. It was fun to include it as everyone knows my car in town.

#17 ·
Car owners, especially those of the custom car ilk love to show off their cars and talk about them. I've known wmbarger for years and know him to be a gentle giant. I also attend some of the local car meets and can say I've never heard anyone say they like a certain car and are going to steal it. That boyfriend is an idiot for saying what he did and if that's the way he impresses his girlfriend she should drop him like a hot potato.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.